The Student Room Group

Should I give becoming an artist my last shot? sometimes feel like I'm crazy. Help?

I'm unemployed, live in a house share its reserved house though. Going to studio classes to pursue theatre career again even though it's not getting me anywhere career wise. Because of my autism, working the right job is so hard and I have been utterly treated like dirt and under appreciated in my past work. A course in fine art, sculpture I'm considering. Year's back I went to an art school to live in a city I wanted, to go to study a prop art course. The course itself was terrible and I ended up doing bad and never tried to pursue it again. To be honest, I always thought actress was my path for a very long time but now I'm thinking i should focus on art full time instead of working as I feel I cant work and I'm so tired of agencies. Please any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm unemployed, live in a house share its reserved house though. Going to studio classes to pursue theatre career again even though it's not getting me anywhere career wise. Because of my autism, working the right job is so hard and I have been utterly treated like dirt and under appreciated in my past work. A course in fine art, sculpture I'm considering. Year's back I went to an art school to live in a city I wanted, to go to study a prop art course. The course itself was terrible and I ended up doing bad and never tried to pursue it again. To be honest, I always thought actress was my path for a very long time but now I'm thinking i should focus on art full time instead of working as I feel I cant work and I'm so tired of agencies. Please any advice?

I'd say get a part time job while you're studying art. Do you have any other qualifications? I don't think it'd be best if you put all your eggs in one basket. Though it seems you have nothing to lose so use that to your advantage.
Reply 2
Original post by Alienated.
I'd say get a part time job while you're studying art. Do you have any other qualifications? I don't think it'd be best if you put all your eggs in one basket. Though it seems you have nothing to lose so use that to your advantage.

Yes I do have qualifications and have acting ones but i was wanting to study part time in finance early next year so I could get a more stable career. Its defiently possible do some art even if its 1 or twice a week course as there aren't many full time courses going anyway, continue the acting studio and do that part time course I mentioned. That's sounds pretty realistic, am I right?
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I do have qualifications and have acting ones but i was wanting to study part time in finance early next year so I could get a more stable career. Its defiently possible do some art even if its 1 or twice a week course as there aren't many full time courses going anyway, continue the acting studio and do that part time course I mentioned. That's sounds pretty realistic, am I right?

Yes, I don't see anything wrong with that. Just make sure you have something to fall back on.
art courses are a waste of time imo. You learn faster studying on your own. And you get better at art by practicing. Theres not much lecturers can teach you other than art fundamentals and science-y stuff about how human eyes percieve things, and most of them don't even do that. And all of that information is on the internet.
Reply 5
Original post by Alienated.
Yes, I don't see anything wrong with that. Just make sure you have something to fall back on.

Yes I do but I'm going to study to get more stable work though.
Reply 6
Original post by ChickenMadness
art courses are a waste of time imo. You learn faster studying on your own. And you get better at art by practicing. Theres not much lecturers can teach you other than art fundamentals and science-y stuff about how human eyes percieve things, and most of them don't even do that. And all of that information is on the internet.

Yes I agree in a way and that's why I ended up failing/leaving my one at art uni because it was not worth the 9k a year what so ever and felt ripped off. How ever, taking these part time/ short classes for ok money is beneficial, and to get feedback, were I can do self work aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending