Question regarding depression and anti-depressants

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, on Friday had an appointment with a medical professional who deals with mental health and they asked me a few questions and stuff. Then i told them (truthfully) that my main goal out of this is to receive antidepressants (because i think it's an easy fix to my pain and suffering and my depression ect). They said come next week Friday to talk about stuff and the medication. My question is how long would it take for me to receive my medication because i seriously can't cope anymore.
Anonymous #1
bump
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you see a GP or a nurse? Or was it a counsellor or a psychological wellbeing practitioner. GP can prescribe. Nurses some can. counsellors and PWPs cannot.

If you are over 18, if a GP finds it appropriate and safe then you may get them straight away on your next appointment.

If it's a GP you are seeing it's not that unusual to see how things progress and ask you to go back.

SSRIs may take a few weeks to work, this is due to lipid rafts. Your doctor if they gave them you may tell you their opinion and that may differ that they work straight away.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
counsellor or a psychological wellbeing practitioner. So what are they going to do when i visit them next week? Is there point going? I just want the drugs fast before i take something illegal or but myself to sleep forever
It's very positive that you went for an appointment, it's also positive you were so frank (a lot of people hold back).

If you've got the PHQ-9 https://patient.info/doctor/patient-...ionnaire-phq-9 (or whatever they may have used) and chit chat out of the way, then I would guess they'll ask you how you are again and perhaps arrange a short number of low intensity CBT or send you on a CBT course.

It's hard to say because this sort of thing varies wildly from area to area. If you lived in my area that's what'd happen.

If you're not happy, then book an appointment with the GP. If there are barriers to this say to the receptionist how you feel, bluntly but politely.
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
counsellor or a psychological wellbeing practitioner. So what are they going to do when i visit them next week? Is there point going? I just want the drugs fast before i take something illegal or but myself to sleep forever
just wait till your appointment next week, in the meantime do something to take your mind off it, ie something you enjoy, and if you dont enjoy anything, try something new.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They cannot prescribe medication. If they think you need antidepressants, it will have to be done by your GP, meaning you will have to see them as well.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I saw a GP and he gave me some straight away. They were super helpful.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
They cannot prescribe medication. If they think you need antidepressants, it will have to be done by your GP, meaning you will have to see them as well.
As we do not know what kind of health prof she saw this may not be correct. If she saw Camhs psychiatrist then they can prescribe anti depressants as can GP's.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scotney)
As we do not know what kind of health prof she saw this may not be correct. If she saw Camhs psychiatrist then they can prescribe anti depressants as can GP's.
I quoted the post is which OP said they were seeing "a counsellor or a psychological wellbeing practitioner".
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
I quoted the post is which OP said they were seeing "a counsellor or a psychological wellbeing practitioner".
Oh fair enough I did not see that, sorry.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're over 18 and will see a GP or psychiatrist, then they may well prescribe them. I would advise you treat this with caution, though, as although antidepressants can really make a difference, they are by no means a quick fix and won't solve all your problems. They can also come with some unpleasant side effects and it may take you a while to find one that works for you.
Anonymous #1
I

(Original post by bones-mccoy)
If you're over 18 and will see a GP or psychiatrist, then they may well prescribe them. I would advise you treat this with caution, though, as although antidepressants can really make a difference, they are by no means a quick fix and won't solve all your problems. They can also come with some unpleasant side effects and it may take you a while to find one that works for you.
Im under 18, what could be a quick fix?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I

Honestly, if you are talking about anything recreational, anything that either helps you work out a sweat or activities you enjoy, such as games. I don't know what you are going through, but if you can find someone to talk to just to vent your frustrations, you can give yourself a sense of euphoria. It will be hard, but I fully hope that you can get through this stage in life. Remember that we live long lives and this is not by any means what will be what happens for the rest of your life. Try to look at the good things more than the bad and it can be anything no matter how small
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are things you can do in order to feel better short-term, such as exercise, self-care, eating well, maintaining social interactions, keeping your mind engaged etc but the end goal should generally focus on long-term interventions such as therapy. Many people find that medication and therapy work as a good combination as medication helps you function day to day,alleviating your mood, and therapy enables you to learn coping mechanisms, ideally getting to the root cause of your problems.

There is a caveat with medication though, as medical professionals tend to be wary of prescribing pills to someone who is at risk. Studies have shown that medication can cause an increase in suicidal ideation during the first couple of weeks of taking them as they increase your levels of motivation before improving your mood - meaning that whilst your mood may still be generally low, you may be more inclined (have more energy, for example), to act on these thoughts. GP's also aren't going to prescibe a pack of pills to someone who is actively suicidal either - when I was first prescribed medication I was only allowed a weeks worth at a time and had to go back to the pharmacy every week due to the risk I presented.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
However just to even up here one of my kids were put on anti anxiety/anti depressant medication at 18 and it was transformative in a good way within 2weeks.Had tried everyrhng else first.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they can't prescribe meds.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I know, I'm desperate because i dont want to end my life lol
CoolCavy any advice you can give here would be appreciated.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.86%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.45%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.39%

Watched Threads