Help needed for A Level time management

Watch
Knightrises10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. So needed help regarding daily time management. I'm doing 3 A Level subjects - Chemistry, Maths and Physics. Also, I've to start my EPQ. But I'm really not being able to manage anything. I don't know but since last few months, I haven't been able to study more than 1 subject a day, mainly because I'm seriously lacking concentration. Even with no distractions such as mobile and TV, I still just can't concentrate and one chapter of a subject ends up taking my whole day.
I really want to focus on all the things. And efficiently. Can I please get some guidance regarding this?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sadly, study techniques are often quite an individual thing, and the method that works really well for one person won't necessarily work really well for you. It's likely to come down to trying a bunch of difference techniques with an open-mind, and seeing which ones work for you.

That being said, here are some suggestions to aid with concentration:

- Pomodoro technique. You can google it, but basically, you take regular, short breaks dictated by a timer

- Separating your study space from your 'fun' space. My usual suggestion is to study as much as possible in school, but I know not all schools can keep study spaces open after school currently. If you can separate the place where you do your work as much as possible from other things, that can help though

- Chunking tasks down into small parts. This is the one I actually use. Rather than set myself a large goal (e.g. I will finish this chapter tonight), I set lots of smaller goals and I write up a checklist. So for example, my checklist will look like: make notes on the first page of the chapter, try the first worked example without looking at the solution, check the solution for the first worked example, make notes on the second page of the chapter, etc. I find that ticking off each bit after I do it helps keep my motivation going, whereas I give up on longer tasks

- Sounds that can aid concentration. I know lots of people default to listening to music while studying, which does work for some, but also try other sounds. White noise, ASMR soundscapes, whale noises, different things help different people

- Assign rewards for things. For example, if there's a TV show you watch, tell yourself you can only watch the new episode after getting some specific task done. Don't make it too hard to achieve though, otherwise you're liable to just watch it anyway.

- Study on voice call with a friend. Even if you're silent for most of the time, having somebody there to hold you accountable can help
umbrella321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A funny one I saw - you set up your phone to record yourself studying for half an hour. The shame of watching yourself do nothing is supposed to change you forever.
Knightrises10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by umbrella321)
A funny one I saw - you set up your phone to record yourself studying for half an hour. The shame of watching yourself do nothing is supposed to change you forever.
Haha have to try that one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (35)
33.33%
No - I have already returned home (11)
10.48%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
21.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.67%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
27.62%

Watched Threads