Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically i'm almost 24 and don't have my license and can't drive. Mostly it's cause i was living away by 17 and moved a couple times, didn't have the intention to get a car so put off lessons. I took a few soon before lockdown, but can't really afford anymore but want to get my license within the year... i'm studying now and part time job which is really low pay and wouldnt cover my lessons

I have my provisional license, the last instructor said i wasn't ready to be practising in my parents car with them there, we'd only had about 3 lessons.

Do you think i could learn from a parent in preparation for lessons if i can afford them later on? any suggestions on where to go given my total beginners level?
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like you won’t be able to run a car anytime soon, why the rush?

Parents, broadly speaking, are not good teachers, especially for beginners. They’re not patient and not experienced in explaining things in different ways if you don’t ‘get’ something which they take for granted.

I would honestly just save for proper lessons.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Sounds like you won’t be able to run a car anytime soon, why the rush?

Parents, broadly speaking, are not good teachers, especially for beginners. They’re not patient and not experienced in explaining things in different ways if you don’t ‘get’ something which they take for granted.

I would honestly just save for proper lessons.
It's been bothering me for a while that i'm this age and can't drive... i think it's a basic essential life skill and feel really incompetent. especially when people ask if i can drive. it would also be really handy now since ive moved back home in the middle of nowhere
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're practically forcing yourself to do something that you cannot afford right now. Just wait till you're in a more steady income and take lessons when you can actually do so. Also, learning from a parent with your current experience is pretty much asking for an accident to happen.
umbrella321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on your parents but the test is inevitably going to be much stricter than when they took it. I think adding you onto the insurance costs money, so you'd have to weigh that up. I'd say get your money (or a finance plan) together and do the lessons altogether. If you have an amazing memory then fine, but I took 10 or so lessons one year, and then restarted 24 months later. I expected it to be 'like riding a bicycle' but I couldn't remember jack. That is why they run these 5 day courses - so everything is fresh in your mind instead of forgotten from week to week. Also, if you live in a city, you may not need a licence, it is not essential for everyone,cars are expensive to own if you don't actually need them.
Last edited by umbrella321; 1 month ago
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's been bothering me for a while that i'm this age and can't drive... i think it's a basic essential life skill and feel really incompetent. especially when people ask if i can drive. it would also be really handy now since ive moved back home in the middle of nowhere
I was in my mid-thirties when I learnt, but I was fortunate to be in an area with good public transport links.

Is your money situation likely to change much in the next year or two? If not, having a licence doesn’t really solve your problem of being in the middle of nowhere. You’ll likely need £4K for a car and insurance and that’s before other running costs.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Basically i'm almost 24 and don't have my license and can't drive. Mostly it's cause i was living away by 17 and moved a couple times, didn't have the intention to get a car so put off lessons. I took a few soon before lockdown, but can't really afford anymore but want to get my license within the year... i'm studying now and part time job which is really low pay and wouldnt cover my lessons

I have my provisional license, the last instructor said i wasn't ready to be practising in my parents car with them there, we'd only had about 3 lessons.

Do you think i could learn from a parent in preparation for lessons if i can afford them later on? any suggestions on where to go given my total beginners level?
Frankly, a driving instructor is not necessary for anyone to learn to drive..

If your parents are happy to supervise you whilst you practice, go for it.. it's much cheaper than paying for a "professional".

You can learn everything a driving instructor would teach you on YouTube. I did. Case in point.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Frankly, a driving instructor is not necessary for anyone to learn to drive..

If your parents are happy to supervise you whilst you practice, go for it.. it's much cheaper than paying for a "professional".

You can learn everything a driving instructor would teach you on YouTube. I did. Case in point.
Wish I had the sense to do that, though I suppose I did not want to be learning to drive in a 7 seater.

OP definitely agree with this. My instructor was rubbish I was paying ~£25 per hour to use her car but self teaching everything from youtube
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I started lessons when I was 25 and yeah, it can make you feel anxious but it's really nothing to be embarrassed about. It does sound like having a car would make your life easier but could you afford to run one if you can't currently afford lessons?

You could learn from parents but they'd need to be willing to put you on their insurance and pay the extra costs. Parents/friends aren't generally the best teachers either, you need someone very patient and who can teach you without letting their own habits get in the way. Plenty of people are taught by parents, by all means it's not impossible, but I do think the financial side of things may limit you.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
A.Peters0797
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

How many lessons did you take before lockdown? You could probably find a private car park and try driving around there, then drive around some quiet neighbourhoods and practise junctions etc there. Once you've built up your confidence and awareness you may be able to afford a few lessons to get you to exam stage. Like others have said, there are plenty of videos online for maneuver tuition if you want to try that. You could put a few cones on the road and reverse around them for parallel parking etc You don't need to give up completely, but it is highly recommended to have a couple of lessons with a professional before your test to give you the best possible chance of passing first time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (71)
27.41%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.73%

Watched Threads