Does having more OXBRIDGE candidates from my school reduce my chances to be accepted?

Watch
Naveed2002
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In my school about 7-8 students, including me, have applied for OXBRIDGE. Does this mean my chances are lower because of this?
umbrella321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yes, next.
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not necessarily. How big is your school? How many students usually get in to Oxbridge? 7-8 isn't that many.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Naveed2002)
In my school about 7-8 students, including me, have applied for OXBRIDGE. Does this mean my chances are lower because of this
UCAS applications are anonymous by the time they get to admissions tutors. They look to see if you have what it takes to do well there. Doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing, it’s not like they have a limit on how many they can take from each school.
if they were good enough, your whole school could be accepted.

Basically stop panicking. If you’re applying there you are amazing and the only thing that’s gonna get in your way is yourself.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can post anonymously in universities?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
No. The personal statements and grades just go by a code rather than a name so there’s no unconscious bias. The code relates it to you but the person who decides if you get in or not doesn’t know your name or where you go to school.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Apparently so... bizarre.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No. The personal statements and grades just go by a code rather than a name so there’s no unconscious bias. The code relates it to you but the person who decides if you get in or not doesn’t know your name or where you go to school.
I'm almost certain they do know where you go to school, universities use it as contextual data.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This isn't the case. There was a pilot done by UCAS a few years ago with certain universities (not Oxbridge, but I think a few other Russell Groups) but anonymising applications resulted in fewer students from state schools and widening participation backgrounds getting offers, so they dropped the proposal.

We get the names of students and where they went to school, both for A level and GCSE.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Naveed2002)
In my school about 7-8 students, including me, have applied for OXBRIDGE. Does this mean my chances are lower because of this?
We don't know how many students from the same school have applied to Oxbridge. We can't find out who's applied to Oxford and even to find out who has applied to Cambridge from one school is a huge amount of work. We will know if two people from the same school have applied to the same College, but even if they have, that doesn't impact their chances. All it means is that they will be competing against each other, but only if they're applying for the same course. We admit students from the same school to the same College every year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise