Why spiderman is better off with sony

Watch
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Now i know alot of mcu fans hate the idea of sony having the rights to utilize 900 marvel characters. I get it but what people have to understand is that it makes sony pictures alot of money flashback : in the 90s marvel was losing money D.C. was killing them in comics while marvel was trying there best with cartoons it just didn't go the way DC was having. So marvel stupidly gave sony the rights to spiderman. There most popular character ever and 900 other related characters which included ghost rider and some daredevil characters who were technically associated with spiderman. Anything related to his universe sony owns now this is what marvel did with other marvel characters as they sold x men & other related characters such as deadpool and fantastic four as well as some daredevil characters and daredevil himself to fox , marvel sold hulk to universal they even sold blade to warner bros the owner of DC yes DC had the rights to blade at one point this was all so marvel could earn some money. Marvel was still trademark on the films but they barley got anything from it despite the fact. That even tho its marvel characters these corporations basically own these characters basically marvel doesn't own all there characters. They can still make comics with them but compared to movies,shows and merchandising it was chump change sony made spiderman 1,2 & 3 (2002-2007)
The agreement was simple if Sony wants to keep spiderman they have to make movies within 5 years and 10 months. So sony kept making movies as well as animated tv shows in (2003) sony wanted to tie there animated shows with there movies. In (2003) sony made spiderman the new animated series which is subtitled on DVDs but its really just spiderman.It aired on paramount channels like mtv surprising i know right. But the show wasn't really doing it for them so they ended it on 1 season to continue focusing on movies. In (2008) they tried another dib in the tv shows and made spectacular spiderman which was a saturday morning cartoon show sony distributed it aired in (2008) but ended in (2009) with only 2 seasons. By this point disney bought all the characters that marvel own the rights to which at the time was very little. I mean it took almost a decade for disney to buy fox and finally give all the marvel properties they own to them. Sony legally didn't have to give disney anything sony and Marvel's deal is very different from the other studios. Sony not only distributed the characters film and television rights but they had full control over the character but alot of people hated spiderman 3 which is weird considering it grossed over 900 million.Which is 3x the money spiderman 1 & 2 made, sony sold the merchandising rights which was stupid i wish i could go back in time and tell them not to do that. Sony then sold the animated tv rights back to disney which means disney can make animated shows with spiderman but it has to be new shows not shows sony made.Which is why you don't see sony spiderman on disney plus unless they made a deal. Sony still owns the rights to the animated shows they made meaning by law disney cant continue them since sony owns that storyline Sony can still make animated movies and live action movies as well as tv shows. According to the contract sony can still make tv shows alot of people think sony sold the full thing but that is not true. They can make live action tv shows longer than 45 minutes which means like a Netflix show or amazon with the same deal as the films they can use whatever spiderman character they want. But for whatever reason chose not to make them in my opinion sony should have sold the live action tv rights because disney would have messed those shows up and make them sitcoms but of course sony said screw it & sold the animated side to the all spiderman related characters and spiderman himself .Which sucks now disney can make whatever spiderman show they want but it has to be animated and under 45 minutes. But anyway they rebooted the spiderman movie series in 2012. The reason spiderman 4 didn't happen isn't because of the fans hating on spiderman 3 but because the director left but sony was still gonna make it but then the Original spiderman actor left so sony said screw it we cant lose the rights we got to hurry up and work what we got. the reboot wasn't a failure in fact it grossed about the same range as spiderman 1 in 2002 and made more then spiderman 2. But it was the sequel that ruined everything for the new series and future movies because originally Sony's universe of characters was suppost to start there. However sony hasn't made a bad spiderman film and yes i know people hate the reboot but financially it did great the sequel on the other hand is the only spiderman movie that failed sony didn't want to lose the ip so they teamed up with the marvel studios which is owned by disney and had already gotten bigger than ever and made a deal sony still owns the movie rights to spiderman on certain projects however they share like if it involves marvel studios version of the character then they have to share but other projects like venom are 100% sony alot people credit marvel for the new version saying sony sucks when at the end of the day the film is still sony marvel studios only helps and guides them sony still has full creative control so if you like mcu spiderman so much thank sony there the reason its good but of course salty mcu fans don't understand. That its sony doing the work here not marvel they only put there intro in there thats it and venom was a success it made the right money sony was looking for and now sony is competing making there own universe of characters they own it sucks that disney is making more money off of the character when they dont do **** they just own what marvel owns not like there actually involved but of course salty mcu fans dont understand anything not the whole fanbase but some of them, if disney gets full control then we wont ever see growth in spiderman atleast sony is trying new things. Spiderman is a really big property and his universe is huge and the mcu is all about connecting so we wont have solo films so people getting mad at sony is stupid that was the stupid agreement sony if they wanted to could just use a different version but there thinking smart use there version make our stories and makes alot of money people always blame sony for there mistakes but i know if somebody gave me batman i probably would mess it up too but there making money if there making money there doing something right. Like i said before there is only 1 bad spiderman film all the other films were financially hits and made alot of money i don't care if you dont like spiderman 3 ot the amazing spiderman 1 it made alot of money so it ain't garbage you can have an opinion all you want but at the end of they day they did nothing wrong. And now sony is making s tv universe yeah im team sony they know what there doing disney will probably just turn spiderman into a transgender no-one cares about diversity agenda right now so if you gonna hate sony go right ahead but at the end of the day you wont get a venom movie with disney you wont get r rated stuff with disney and sony and marvel are making a new deal for sony to use more characters not just spiderman ones. Even tho disney now owns fox studios assets venompool is gonna happen sooner or later and you need sony for that to happen if your a deadpool fan and want to see spider pool well guess what you need sony to do that. People dont realise the power sony has over spiderman even tho sony made some mistakes like selling the animated tv rights when they should have sold the live action rights or selling the merchandise when it makes more money then the movies seriously that was dumb 😒 but sony still can do alot of stuff with spiderman disney cant because they need help with sony and after the contract is over sony will have full control once again and for those thinking apple will buy sony and the rights will revert back wrong the contract states that it wont happen automatically only if sony pictures becomes something else. Meaning as a division of apple then Apple would own it, disney bought marvel studios and that didn't affect marvel at all disney dont help with marvel movies because marvel is still marvel. I cant believe people are so dumb to not know that how do you think universal was still able to make hulk even when they were bought out by comcast , same with warner they were bought by at&t people thought DC comics would be up in the air for someone else to buy because DC didn't have an original owner well guess what didn't happen because it remains the same just under a different corporation.
Last edited by 153981; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you heard of paragraphs and punctuation?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  33.2 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads