suga&kookies
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ever since last year, I have been wanting to start coding for website creation but I was so unsure of how to start so I never got round to doing it. I'm in year 13 now and I still want to learn it although it might be hectic.

Please could someone advise me on what software to use and any resources that could help me to learn it
Adannaya06
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The app sololearn is quite good, you should start on the HTML course if you want to do web development
suga&kookies
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Adannaya06)
The app sololearn is quite good, you should start on the HTML course if you want to do web development
Thank you for that! I have never come across that website before. Just had a look at it now and it looks really good! I've also been thinking that HTML might be the best option for web design so thank you for the confirmation.

Also, could you possibly tell me how much time I should be spending on learning coding because I want to take it seriously but without it affecting my studies...
Moana92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Scratch is a good website if you want to go right to the basics
Strange5050
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by suga&kookies)
Thank you for that! I have never come across that website before. Just had a look at it now and it looks really good! I've also been thinking that HTML might be the best option for web design so thank you for the confirmation.

Also, could you possibly tell me how much time I should be spending on learning coding because I want to take it seriously but without it affecting my studies...
Solo learn is good. I’d also recommend YouTube. I’ve often seen it overlooked but it can’t be understated how valuable a learning resource YouTube actually is, there are dozens and dozens of good tutorials on HTML, CSS, JavaScript (the 3 main web development languages). A simply search like ‘HTML and CSS’ for beginners will yield you some good results.

HTML and CSS aren’t all that difficult once you understand them, so I’d personally advice getting good with them before dipping your toes into JavaScript, which is a powerful language in web development.

As for how long you should spend. Well that’s entirely up to you. It all depends on how well you think you’re learning. You could watch the odd video a day, or you could designate 30 minutes to 1 hour a day. It’s all down to 1. How much time you want to spend, 2. And how well you’re learning. The basics of HTML and CSS aren’t too hard to pick up, so I doubt you’ll be needing to spending hours and hours a day learning. I’d recommend just looking into the DOM (document object model) as this can really enhance your understanding of a web page. But learn the basics first.
Adannaya06
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can also sign up to FreeCodeCamp which seems quite good, and they have a YouTube channel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (540)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (655)
41.14%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (324)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed