Want more information about this university?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’m from England and I really want to go to Queens next year, is it worth applying if the grade requirements are ABB and I’m predicted DDMBB (I’m applying for criminology) Are they lenient with grades and are they really respecting of BTEC?
con2021
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey. I replied to your other thread too. Queen's doesn't really care about what you got overall in your BTEC. What matters is what you got in the individual units. Their website tells you how many credits they want at Distinction/Merit. I'm not sure how lenient they are in general but I know that they tend to be quite strict with people applying with BTECs.
Anonymous #1
Thank you! I’m going to look into both of the unis more and make a decision but I’m leaning towards applying for both. Criminology is based at the Jordanstown campus which is ideal. I’ve seen mixed opinions on both unis but I am hoping to go and visit both next year if I receive a conditional offer lol
con2021
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Jordanstown is close enough to Belfast. If you do end up going to UUJ then I wouldn't recommend their halls. Most people who go to UUJ tend to stay in Belfast.
Anonymous #1
Are their halls terrible? Also do you know if many people stay in the accommodations? I’ve seen loads of posts saying that everyone goes home on weekends etc so it’s quite lonely for those who are not from Ireland
con2021
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They aren't terrible, it's just Jordanstown is a really small town and there isn't a huge amount to do there. Belfast is much more lively and because it's so close to Jordanstown most people tend to stay in Belfast and then travel to Jordanstown for lectures. You can get a bus, train or a taxi from Belfast to Jordanstown and it's relatively quick/cheap. You might not even need to worry though since Ulster is planning to move everyone at Jordanstown to Belfast next year, just depends on how COVID pans out because they had to stop construction on their new building. As for people going home at the weekends, a lot of people do but a lot don't either. Some people keep the jobs they had back home when they move up so they have to go back home at the weekends to make a living. It's not the same for everyone though. I know a girl that went home very rarely because she was from Enniskillen and it was difficult getting back and forth. Student Roost has some decent halls in Belfast if you're looking somewhere to live. You can also apply to live in Queen's accommodation even if you go to Ulster. If you're looking to meet people from either Queen's or Ulster, they both have confessions pages on Facebook that you might find helpful. Search QUB Love for Queen's or UU Love for Ulster. Hope this helps.
Last edited by con2021; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (659)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (839)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.44%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads