Less emphasis held on GCSE results for ‘Covid year’?

Watch
domm1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you guys think/believe universities shall hold less emphasis than the usual on GCSE results for the ‘Covid year’ as many results aren’t an actual true reflection on many students’ abilities, and in turn more focus being held on A2 predictions (as the exams that would be sat to create the A2 predictions would be the only ‘proper’ exams this particular year would’ve sat)?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated; if you disagree with the idea, for what reason?
Last edited by domm1; 1 month ago
suga&kookies
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by domm1)
Do you guys think/believe universities shall hold less emphasis than the usual on GCSE results for the ‘Covid year’ as many results aren’t an actual true reflection on many students’ abilities, and in turn more focus being held on A2 predictions (as the exams that would be sat to create the A2 predictions would be the only ‘proper’ exams this particular year would’ve sat)?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated; if you disagree with the idea, for what reason?
I don't think this is the case because for every degree you are applying for, there are so many students and only very few seats so Universities are bound to look at all the evidence (GCSE/personal statement/ references/ A2 predictions etc.) that they have about and individual to reach a conclusive decision.
domm1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by suga&kookies)
I don't think this is the case because for every degree you are applying for, there are so many students and only very few seats so Universities are bound to look at all the evidence (GCSE/personal statement/ references/ A2 predictions etc.) that they have about and individual to reach a conclusive decision.
But surely if a part of this ‘evidence’ is a lot less accurate than would be for ‘normal’ years, why would the same level of emphasis be held on this factor? However I do see where you’re coming from, as they do need to take into consideration every piece of information they can get a hold of.
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it was held for a levels this year by unis 🤷
isobeln
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by domm1)

no because everyone was in the same situation. it's not like idk, only a few areas, such as London were unable to do their GCSEs. it was the whole country, so everyone is in the same position applying to unis
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (61)
27.85%
No - I have already returned home (25)
11.42%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (49)
22.37%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
9.59%
No - I live at home during term anyway (63)
28.77%

Watched Threads