Want more information about this university?
SaBrInAa_.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am planning to study criminology but I'm not sure what uni is best? has anyone studied this subject at either uni. thanks
mharrison14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey! It's exciting to hear that you're planning to study Criminology!I've recently graduated from the University of Westminster after studying Criminology and I couldn't recommend their Criminology course (and the uni for that matter) more! The course at Westminster is really unique compared to a lot of other unis as it covers a wide range of topics within criminology and you get to tailor your degree to the areas you're most interested in. For example, if you find the psychological side of criminology or you have enjoyed studying psychology in the past, you can pick the psychology-based modules. Similarly, you also have the option to choose Westminster electives and language modules meaning you can learn a new language alongside your degree (it will be one of the modules you pick so will make up 20 credits for that academic year) OR choose a module from another course that is linked to criminology. For example, I chose Security and the Surveillance State in my final year which is a Politics and International Relations module but since it concerns security and surveillance it can be taught as a criminology module (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MODULE! It was SO interesting). So you really do get to tailor your degree to what you're interested in and dabble in some other courses too or a language if you want to!Another amazing part of studying Criminology at Westminster are the opportunities to get involved in amazing Prison-University partnership projects (I took part in all of them so luckily I can tell you about them all)! The first project you will have the opportunity to take part in is with Learning Together where you visit Feltham YOI once a week. This involves sitting in with a class of prisoners and learning about sociological and criminological issues alongside them. Since you are studying at a higher level (most of the prisoners will be studying at level 3 or below), you are there to help them if they have any difficulties understanding the lectures. At the end of the project, you have a little graduation ceremony where everyone gets a certificate to celebrate! The second project is in your final year and is an optional module. For this project, you will visit HMP Pentonville once a week and mentor prisoners (inside learners), similarly to the previous project, as they learn about the same criminological topics you will have learnt about previously! This is a great opportunity for the inside learners as by completing this course, they gain credits towards being able to complete a criminology degree when they are released from prison and so promotes the use of prison education to help people move away from their criminal identity. The last two projects kind of come hand in hand and are with the Convict Criminology Team who will be two of your lecturers (Sacha and Andy), and involves visiting both Grendon and Coldingley Prison. This opportunity is outside of your studies meaning it does not contribute to your course but is a great opportunity to get involved in if you are passionate about the power of education within the prison system and the importance of prisoners' voices concerning how prisons are run and the effects prisons have on people. In this project, you work with inside learners to plan and produce academic papers that will be published. All these opportunities I would highly recommend, not only because they give you great life experience that you can put on your CV, but also because they promote the importance of education within prisons and aim to bring positive changes to the way the prison system works to prevent reoffending.Lastly, the criminology team themselves are so amazing and honestly do care so much about your success during your studies. They have felt like a family to me and have offered so much support throughout my degree as well as enabling me to discover my passion. The university itself also feels like one big community, especially since the students have a lot of control over many aspects of how it is run from planning social events to bridging the gap between the student and staff body to ensure students are getting the most out of their time at university by resolving and issues raised by students. You can get involved in many ways such as becoming a Student Ambassador or a Course Representative (I was part of both so am happy to answer any questions about them).Honestly, I could go on for ages talking about Criminology and the university but hopefully, I haven't sent you to sleep with what I have said so far haha! If you have any questions though I'd be more than happy to answer them!I hope this was helpful!Marissa
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SaBrInAa_.)
I am planning to study criminology but I'm not sure what uni is best? has anyone studied this subject at either uni. thanks
Hey SaBrInAa_.

We offer verity criminology courses covering everything from street crime to large-scale state crimes, a degree in criminology at the University of Greenwich deepens your knowledge while widening your perspective. We offer full-time three-year criminology degrees. If you don’t meet the entry requirements, you can apply for an extended course with an added foundation year. You can also combine criminology with criminal psychology, forensic science or sociology.

Join our Virtual Open Day November 2020 and chat with current students and staff and find out more about how we can support you whilst you study, including information about courses, fees and funding, student life and accommodation.

Criminology is an interesting choice, are you looking to apply for step 2021?

Let me know if you have any questions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (213)
56.65%
I don't have everything I need (163)
43.35%

Watched Threads