Personal statement- general advice please!

Watch
coolchem
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I'm applying to this pathways to medicine program and there is a section on the application where I am supposed to write a mini personal statement:

Please give a brief personal statement (of no more than 300 words) explaining your suitability for the programme and why you would like to participate
Please include information on why you would like to study the subject that you have chosen, what you feel you would bring to the programme, and what you feel you would get out of it
Could I get some help on this?/ perhaps a few examples too? I totally know why i want to participate and kind of know what I want to get out of it, but am not too sure about the other question
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coolchem)
So I'm applying to this pathways to medicine program and there is a section on the application where I am supposed to write a mini personal statement:

Please give a brief personal statement (of no more than 300 words) explaining your suitability for the programme and why you would like to participate
Please include information on why you would like to study the subject that you have chosen, what you feel you would bring to the programme, and what you feel you would get out of it
Could I get some help on this?/ perhaps a few examples too? I totally know why i want to participate and kind of know what I want to get out of it, but am not too sure about the other question
Why not write a draft, get your teachers / friends to check it first and then use TSR's free PS review service? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154

Have a look at TSR's medicine PS examples: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...nal-statements
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Here's an article on writing a medicine PS too https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...nal_Statements
revert2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is this for the Sutton Trust?
I applied for their Pathways To Law programme and talked about why the subject interests me; relevant books I’ve read; how I think the programme can benefit my future in Law, etc.
coolchem
Rep:
?
(Original post by revert2)
Is this for the Sutton Trust?
I applied for their Pathways To Law programme and talked about why the subject interests me; relevant books I’ve read; how I think the programme can benefit my future in Law, etc.
Yes!
I really want to get the statement part right- I reckon they will put a considerable weighting on it when deciding on successful applications. revert, would you mind if we read each other's statements? Don't worry, mines for the medicine course at nottingham, not law
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coolchem)
Yes!
I really want to get the statement part right- I reckon they will put a considerable weighting on it when deciding on successful applications. revert, would you mind if we read each other's statements? Don't worry, mines for the medicine course at nottingham, not law
No offence to anyone, but I would be very careful before sending anyone a copy of your personal statement.

You don't know whether it may be leaked, and plagarism is not a trivial problem.

As suggested, feel free to make use of TSR's PS review programme - that's safe and secure.
coolchem
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No offence to anyone, but I would be very careful before sending anyone a copy of your personal statement.

You don't know whether it may be leaked, and plagarism is not a trivial problem.

As suggested, feel free to make use of TSR's PS review programme - that's safe and secure.
Yeah, true. That just crossed my mind too. Thank you for recommending the program- ill look into it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (808)
42.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads