The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

SAAS and Feb start date

UPDATE: Just called open uni and there's no issues with my funding for stage 2 starting October 2021. The funding starting Feb (stage 1) is in 2020/2021 academic year and stage 2 is 2021/2022 funding. Very happy bunny right now. No delays! Only little concern is I'll be full on study mode from Feb 21 - June 22 😳 Worth it!

Hi all. I am hoping someone might be able to clear something up for me. I have a start date for Feb 2021 for BSc (hons) Forensic Psychology and have picked my first 2 (compulsory) modules and awaiting confirmation for the part time fee grant from SAAS.

I have noticed that I may have issues with funding once I have completed these. A few posts on other pages have stated I will not be able to start my next modules next year due to OU starting dates or academic year funding (I don't know which it is). If this is true why do the OU have Feb start dates. I really don't want to wait until October 2022 to be able to do my next modules due to the way the funding works.

Sorry if this all sounds garbled but I'm trying to get a little understanding. I'll be calling the OU about it next week but would be grateful for any info.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm also starting in Feb, doing 2 modules worth 60 credits, then remaining two level 1 modules worth 60 credits in Oct 21, and then I hope to go full time with 120 credits Oct 22 and finish in 4 years total. The rule is that you can do 120 credits max in any 12 months. I think I read somewhere that Feb and April starts are being phased out as they want to move to a more traditional academic year model? On my course only level 1 has mid year starts, and only Oct for level 2 and 3. To be honest I'm grateful to start in Feb as it was a last minute decision for me and so happy I don't have to wait a year to begin. I'm in England, so I am not sure about SAAS rules, but I doubt it would be much different to Student Finance England..
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Starry-Night123
I'm also starting in Feb, doing 2 modules worth 60 credits, then remaining two level 1 modules worth 60 credits in Oct 21, and then I hope to go full time with 120 credits Oct 22 and finish in 4 years total. The rule is that you can do 120 credits max in any 12 months. I think I read somewhere that Feb and April starts are being phased out as they want to move to a more traditional academic year model? On my course only level 1 has mid year starts, and only Oct for level 2 and 3. To be honest I'm grateful to start in Feb as it was a last minute decision for me and so happy I don't have to wait a year to begin. I'm in England, so I am not sure about SAAS rules, but I doubt it would be much different to Student Finance England..

Hey, thanks for your reply. I'm also a last minute application after procrastinating for around 2 years.... I can't wait to get started and been discussing a similar route to you to get finished a bit quicker. Just so much conflicting info regarding financing this.
Good luck for your course.
Yes there is so much info on all different pages and difficult to grasp everything when it's not all in one place. I emailed OU about the credit limit per year rumour that I've seen on forums and they clarified for me that it's true. Good luck on your course, too!
Original post by Sjac77
Hi all. I am hoping someone might be able to clear something up for me. I have a start date for Feb 2021 for BSc (hons) Forensic Psychology and have picked my first 2 (compulsory) modules and awaiting confirmation for the part time fee grant from SAAS.

I have noticed that I may have issues with funding once I have completed these. A few posts on other pages have stated I will not be able to start my next modules next year due to OU starting dates or academic year funding (I don't know which it is). If this is true why do the OU have Feb start dates. I really don't want to wait until October 2022 to be able to do my next modules due to the way the funding works.

Sorry if this all sounds garbled but I'm trying to get a little understanding. I'll be calling the OU about it next week but would be grateful for any info.

Yes this is true. You would possibly be better taking one module in February and then the second level one module starting in October so you are continuously studying otherwise yes you would need to take a year out.
This only becomes an issue really for those wanting to be studying full time-if you study part time which is how the majority study then it can be a good way to get your degree done slightly quicker. It also provides those that begin in October the opportunity to add a second module in February once they adjust to the workload/difficulty level.
Reply 5
Just a bit of info for anyone looking for it, the 120 per year rule doesn’t necessarily apply to Scottish students as the modules in Scotland cost significantly less so don’t exceed the fee cap if you do 120 in Feb then 120 in October :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest