Grammar troubles

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I really want to improve my grammar as my boyfriend that studies English at university says its terrible and I need to make less mistakes.

Can you please give me some do's and don'ts on grammar? I know it sounds weird, but its really starting to effect our relationship.

me and him always fight over stupid grammar stuff and I always loose. Help pls?
ashtolga23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Grammar itself seems like quite the big topic. I'm not exactly an aficionado myself, but weirdly enough my boyfriend is as well as yours. I think there's a big difference in the handling of this though, and the main issue I see here is with his reaction rather than your capability.

If it really bothers him that much, ask him to teach you what he thinks are simple grammatical rules or facts. He could make it so much nicer by taking on a caring role instead of arguing with you over it. As long as you're receptive to it then it should go smoothly.

If you really want tips on SPaG, I'll give you one quick pointer based off of your post. You can't use "affect" and "effect" interchangeably. The "effect" of something is a noun, eg. "the effect was...", "sound effect", "it had an effect". "Affect" is used as a verb, eg. "I feel affected by...", "this is starting to affect...".
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Lose*
StopRightThere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I really want to improve my grammar as my boyfriend that studies English at university says its terrible and I need to make less mistakes.

Can you please give me some do's and don'ts on grammar? I know it sounds weird, but its really starting to effect our relationship.

me and him always fight over stupid grammar stuff and I always loose. Help pls?
My nickname is the "Grammar Nazi". If you need help with something, shoot me a pm and I will get back to you as quickly as I can.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Look into buying a book on grammer (about £5-£15), taking a course online(or just play grammar games) or study youtube videos.
Grammarly might be a good investment for the time being.
just take your learning step by step and you'll get there.
best of luck.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Grammar itself seems like quite the big topic. I'm not exactly an aficionado myself, but weirdly enough my boyfriend is as well as yours. I think there's a big difference in the handling of this though, and the main issue I see here is with his reaction rather than your capability.

If it really bothers him that much, ask him to teach you what he thinks are simple grammatical rules or facts. He could make it so much nicer by taking on a caring role instead of arguing with you over it. As long as you're receptive to it then it should go smoothly.

If you really want tips on SPaG, I'll give you one quick pointer based off of your post. You can't use "affect" and "effect" interchangeably. The "effect" of something is a noun, eg. "the effect was...", "sound effect", "it had an effect". "Affect" is used as a verb, eg. "I feel affected by...", "this is starting to affect...".
Thanks for ur kind advice, I'm gonna talk to him abt it
Just out of interest, did u notice any other grammar mistakes on my original post?
Anonymous #1
Look into buying a book on grammer (about £5-£15), taking a course online(or just play grammar games) or study youtube videos.
Grammarly might be a good investment for the time being.
just take your learning step by step and you'll get there.
best of luck.
thanks for these tips - can u recommend me any grammar games?
Anonymous #1
Lose*
oh thanks lol - did u see any other mistakes?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StopRightThere)
My nickname is the "Grammar Nazi". If you need help with something, shoot me a pm and I will get back to you as quickly as I can.
ahaha thanks v much, I might do that
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for ur kind advice, I'm gonna talk to him abt it
Just out of interest, did u notice any other grammar mistakes on my original post?
It's no problem. I definitely would.

This is how I would've written what you said in your original post:

I really want to improve my grammar as my boyfriend, who studies English at university, says it's terrible and I need to make less mistakes.
Can you please give me some "do"s and "don't"s on grammar? I know it sounds weird, but it's really starting to affect our relationship.
He and I always fight over stupid grammar stuff and I always lose. Help please?

If you look at your original and compare it with this one then you'll see changes I've made. Feel free to ask me about any if they're unclear.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ashtolga23)
It's no problem. I definitely would.

This is how I would've written what you said in your original post:

I really want to improve my grammar as my boyfriend, who studies English at university, says it's terrible and I need to make less mistakes.
Can you please give me some "do"s and "don't"s on grammar? I know it sounds weird, but it's really starting to affect our relationship.
He and I always fight over stupid grammar stuff and I always lose. Help please?

If you look at your original and compare it with this one then you'll see changes I've made. Feel free to ask me about any if they're unclear.
Thanks! That's super helpful
should it be 'less mistakes' or 'fewer mistakes' tho?
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks! That's super helpful
should it be 'less mistakes' or 'fewer mistakes' tho?
Oh haha, yeah it would be "fewer". I'm sorry that I missed that one; I copied and pasted yours, then edited it, so I probably glanced over it. Maybe you need more confidence in this, as you seem to have a pretty good grasp lol!

If you want me to explain any changes I've made then please ask by the way, as I wasn't sure how much detail you'd want. If I don't know the rule in detail then my boyfriend will haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (848)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads