The Student Room Group

How do I apply for University in the next application cycle as an ex student?

I'm a Year 13 student and was very happy over the summer after deciding that I'd rather apply for university and UCAS in Autumn 2021 (during my gap year) for a 2022 placement, because I have no direction for what I want to do or choose and I don't want to apply for opportunities I'll waste, and I'm in a very bad place mentally with a lot of personal problems to manage right now that makes the application process extremely overwhelming.

My tutor however keeps pressuring me to apply for this application cycle with a deterred entry - taking into consideration I have neither chosen any universities for options nor have I started writing a personal statement - because applying as an ex-student is apparently much more stressful. I disagree with this but I still feel like I have no choice and have to rush my application even though that's the opposite of what I want.

Could anyone give me a breakdown of what the application process is like when applying through your previous school? Is UCAS used in the same way?
Original post by tillyfk
I'm a Year 13 student and was very happy over the summer after deciding that I'd rather apply for university and UCAS in Autumn 2021 (during my gap year) for a 2022 placement, because I have no direction for what I want to do or choose and I don't want to apply for opportunities I'll waste, and I'm in a very bad place mentally with a lot of personal problems to manage right now that makes the application process extremely overwhelming.

My tutor however keeps pressuring me to apply for this application cycle with a deterred entry - taking into consideration I have neither chosen any universities for options nor have I started writing a personal statement - because applying as an ex-student is apparently much more stressful. I disagree with this but I still feel like I have no choice and have to rush my application even though that's the opposite of what I want.

Could anyone give me a breakdown of what the application process is like when applying through your previous school? Is UCAS used in the same way?

It is the same ucas process although if your school wont help then you fill it out as an individual plus may need to get a different referee if they wont give you one. Lots of places dont like deferred entry and prefer you apply in the cycle relevant to the year of entry.
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference
Original post by tillyfk

You apply exactly the same way really apart from having to ask your old school for a reference rather than it being automatic. Your school are wrong to be pressurising you in this way, there is nothing wrong with your plan to apply after getting your results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending