HuntersShadow
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Long story short- I haven't had a paid job in about 2 years (but one of these years I was doing a pgdip/MA)

I've literally tried everything. I apply and search at least 5-6 hours a day. I have experience in retail and education and everything comes back as a no. I've had my CV checked by countless people so it isn't that. I understand with covid that everyone is looking etc, I know it's a difficult time (and I hope you all get jobs). I'm not bitter or anything, I'm concerned that it will turn into 5 years without paid work. A PGCE isn't doable for me atm because they've removed the bursaries and I would have to save before the course starts if I were to do it. And I can't save because I can't get work (not even Christmas temp ones). I am with two teaching agencies, and I get up at 5am everyday to no phone call (I'm on standby). I keep seeing all these things about teaching abroad. I have a degree (and a pgdip) and experience with kids of all ages. I'm not at all afraid of moving to another country etc. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it and can advise?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HuntersShadow)
Long story short- I haven't had a paid job in about 2 years (but one of these years I was doing a pgdip/MA)

I've literally tried everything. I apply and search at least 5-6 hours a day. I have experience in retail and education and everything comes back as a no. I've had my CV checked by countless people so it isn't that. I understand with covid that everyone is looking etc, I know it's a difficult time (and I hope you all get jobs). I'm not bitter or anything, I'm concerned that it will turn into 5 years without paid work. A PGCE isn't doable for me atm because they've removed the bursaries and I would have to save before the course starts if I were to do it. And I can't save because I can't get work (not even Christmas temp ones). I am with two teaching agencies, and I get up at 5am everyday to no phone call (I'm on standby). I keep seeing all these things about teaching abroad. I have a degree (and a pgdip) and experience with kids of all ages. I'm not at all afraid of moving to another country etc. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it and can advise?
Are you sure a PGCE isn't viable? You will still be eligible for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan. If you are over 25, the maintenance loan won't be dependent on parental income, only on your own income from your own savings or a partner's income if you live with them. If you have children or other factors impacting your finances, you may be eligible for even more.

Unfortunately, I have no experience of teaching abroad. I have had some friends who went to work in schools abroad, and the schools paid for their initial travel expenses, but they were all qualified teachers already.
DrTomato
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I taught in China for a couple of years. The teaching was great but otherwise it was boring, polluted and lonely.

I would not go there (or HK either) due to arbritary threat of detention. Besides it's going to be extremely difficult to get a visa now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.28%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.33%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.2%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.43%

Watched Threads