How market forces have attempted to make better use of funding within the NHS

Watch
burrows7872
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I am doing an access to higher education nursing course online and am required to make an academic poster about the NHS. My last section is on how market forces have attempted to make better use of funding within the NHS.

I am at a complete loss. If anyone can help me with articles to read or how they went about answering this question that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by burrows7872)
Hi,

I am doing an access to higher education nursing course online and am required to make an academic poster about the NHS. My last section is on how market forces have attempted to make better use of funding within the NHS.

I am at a complete loss. If anyone can help me with articles to read or how they went about answering this question that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
This website contains lots of articles on NHS privatisation. Although it is clearly partisan, the information is basically sound and detailed. Just use the search function for specific issues.
https://www.patients4nhs.org.uk/
Here's an article on recent marketisation
https://www.patients4nhs.org.uk/mark...on-of-the-nhs/
burrows7872
Rep:
?
(Original post by OxFossil)
This website contains lots of articles on NHS privatisation. Although it is clearly partisan, the information is basically sound and detailed. Just use the search function for specific issues.
https://www.patients4nhs.org.uk/
Here's an article on recent marketisation
https://www.patients4nhs.org.uk/mark...on-of-the-nhs/
Oh that's the biggest help I've had throughout my whole course. Thank you so much!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's a topic you could write like 5 PhDs on... and by the time they were written, the government will have changed everything again.

A lot of info would be confidential as well. For example, if you wanted to find out how much Costa pay to have their shops all over the hospital... well guarantee that info is not public.

Tough question. I'd try not to focus only on the negative though. A lot of NHS employees will have only negative views about privatisation, but that's probably not the case. For example, one case which I thought worked well was my old hospital had one private ward. So if you were admitted, you could be on the normal wards for free, or you could be on the private ward, where you had a private room, a TV and somewhat nicer food basically, but all the medical stuff was still the same. That meant that the patient got what they wanted - a bit of a nicer room - but the NHS got something like £300 per night from each patient, with which to pay for other services. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.
burrows7872
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
That's a topic you could write like 5 PhDs on... and by the time they were written, the government will have changed everything again.

A lot of info would be confidential as well. For example, if you wanted to find out how much Costa pay to have their shops all over the hospital... well guarantee that info is not public.

Tough question. I'd try not to focus only on the negative though. A lot of NHS employees will have only negative views about privatisation, but that's probably not the case. For example, one case which I thought worked well was my old hospital had one private ward. So if you were admitted, you could be on the normal wards for free, or you could be on the private ward, where you had a private room, a TV and somewhat nicer food basically, but all the medical stuff was still the same. That meant that the patient got what they wanted - a bit of a nicer room - but the NHS got something like £300 per night from each patient, with which to pay for other services. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.
Oh that's great info! Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)

"£300 a night" for the NHS does sound great, doesn't it? But look deeper and it might turn out differently. Why is it that many NHS private patient units charge 50% less than comparable private hospitals? Why is it that in a recent study of 114 NHS hospital trusts, most were unable to provide evidence they made any money from their private beds - and 9 actually consistently lost money on them? The introduction of the "internal market" demonstrated that trying to run the NHS like a private business massively increases administrative costs, and the NHS is not geared up to do the sums. When you do, you find that the costs of itemised billing, negotiations with insurers, chasing and writing off bad debts and so on will swallow most, if not all, of that £300. It's one of the reasons the US health system traditionally had much higher admin costs than the pre-marketised NHS.

But this is a whole other discussion. I'm sure the OP can come to their own conclusions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (594)
34.02%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (725)
41.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (348)
19.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.52%

Watched Threads