Overseas UK citizen returning for study

Watch
Melanie Em
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My daughter has a British citizen passport but has lived in Taiwan all her life, will she be considered a home student if pursuing an undergraduate degree at a uk university?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Melanie Em)
My daughter has a British citizen passport but has lived in Taiwan all her life, will she be considered a home student if pursuing an undergraduate degree at a uk university?
Not until she has achieved 3 years residence in the UK in the preceding 3 years before September 1 on the year in which she expects to start her course. Once that is met she will qualify for home status plus student finance.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, its based on residency not nationality.

(The logic is that UK Home status fees are heavily subsidised by the British government - you are not entitled to receive that subsidy if you have not been paying tax here in the UK or in another EU country. If she works/pays tax here for three years then she can be treated as UK resident.)
Melanie Em
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not until she has achieved 3 years residence in the UK in the preceding 3 years before September 1 on the year in which she expects to start her course. Once that is met she will qualify for home status plus student finance.
Thank you for your response. A further question, if she qualifies in the 2nd year of study, can she change to home status then?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your response. A further question, if she qualifies in the 2nd year of study, can she change to home status then?
How would she 'qualify' after only one year in the UK and that as a full-time student?
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
My understanding is no and it remains fixed.
The smarter move is to send her to the UK to live with relatives, attend sixth form for A levels and then do an apprenticeship or get a job for a year till her 3 years are up, then apply with the correct level of residence. I believe the fee status stays fixed and only ever changes in very specific circumstances of which none will apply to your daughter. On the good side once she qualifies for home fee status, she will also be able to apply for student finance loans.
Melanie Em
Rep:
?
I see, yes I am thinking we will do that, thank you
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
The smarter move is to send her to the UK to live with relatives, attend sixth form for A levels and then do an apprenticeship or get a job for a year till her 3 years are up, then apply with the correct level of residence.
Residence has to be 'for purposes other than education' so essentially either she or her parents have to here, employed and paying tax.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Residence has to be 'for purposes other than education' so essentially either she or her parents have to here, employed and paying tax.
I am aware. Thank you for your input, welcome as ever.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
I see, yes I am thinking we will do that, thank you
You can check with UKcisa.
The check for fee status is done by the university, its similar but independent of the checks done for student finance.
One doesnt guarantee the other and the application of home fee status can be inconsistent. Both fee status and finance are worth having and waiting for, so its a case of ingraining into your child to be patient until they achieve the requisite amount of residence.

Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 which is open at the following times:

Monday to Friday (except for public holidays): 1.00pm to 4.00pm (UK time)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads