jeremzii
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Wondering if anyone in the field of health economics comes from a non-econ background? I've become interested with health economics and would like to pursue this as a career, is it worth it considering I've never done economics or come from a strong stats background?

Anyone know about the competition in this field too?

Thanks!
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not sure if this is allowed or what the entry requirements are for it? I studied MSc Economics nad my university offered MSc Health Economics too and everyone I know who studied that previously studied economics at undergrad. You would have to look at requirements at different universities.

What is your undergrad in?
jeremzii
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tommy988)
Not sure if this is allowed or what the entry requirements are for it? I studied MSc Economics nad my university offered MSc Health Economics too and everyone I know who studied that previously studied economics at undergrad. You would have to look at requirements at different universities.

What is your undergrad in?
I did Psych at undergrad, I graduated this July. There's an MSc at Birmingham Uni and Sheffield Uni, also Lancaster uni that don't specify Econ only but I've tried to contact them specifically about Psychology - they havent replied.

The course at bham sounds the best for me since they teach all the needed content even without an econ background, but I'm wondering if I'd have a chance actually landing a job in competition with actual econ students?
tjames988
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jeremzii)
I did Psych at undergrad, I graduated this July. There's an MSc at Birmingham Uni and Sheffield Uni, also Lancaster uni that don't specify Econ only but I've tried to contact them specifically about Psychology - they havent replied.

The course at bham sounds the best for me since they teach all the needed content even without an econ background, but I'm wondering if I'd have a chance actually landing a job in competition with actual econ students?
Oh okay, I didn't know you could do that. And I am not too sure I suggest finding some people on Linkedin who work in jobs you would want to apply for and see what their undergrad was/ message them and ask about how it would be viewed in job applications coming without an econ undergrad degree
tjames988
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do remember in an undergrad module I did; the health econ lecturer trying to sell the MSc health econ to us and she said that there was a good amount of demand for jobs there as you can work for health econ consultancies/ gov/ pharmaceuticals but would recommend you ask someone in the industry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (651)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed