Anyone studying in India..I am very confused

Watch
hadeelmm2406
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I am currently in the 10th Grade (CBSE) but I'm going to transfer to the international curriculum to do A-Levels.

I looked at a few IGCSE Schools in Chennai and all of them are still following the old AS/A Level Format. Additionally, many of them have fixed streams not unlike CBSE 11/12 Grade and don't allow students to pick whichever A-Levels they prefer. The only school that allowed students to pick and choose A-Levels told me that I couldn't take both Maths and Further Maths and as someone looking to major in Economics at Uni, almost all Unis I have my eye on (Cambridge,LSE,Warwick) stress preference towards students with a Further Math A-Level. I have also tried to look into the whole AQA/EDEXEL thing and I've gotten more and more confused seeing none of the schools have anything about this on their website.
So I guess my questions are..
1> Is there a major difference between the way Indian and UK schools do the A-Levels?
2> Is it possible for me to take both Math and FM?
3> Is the whole picking A-Levels not a thing in India?
4> What's the whole AQA/EDEXEL thing and does it really matter?
5> Is an EPQ and an IPQ the same thing?
_ks233
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hadeelmm2406)
Hi,
I am currently in the 10th Grade (CBSE) but I'm going to transfer to the international curriculum to do A-Levels.

I looked at a few IGCSE Schools in Chennai and all of them are still following the old AS/A Level Format. Additionally, many of them have fixed streams not unlike CBSE 11/12 Grade and don't allow students to pick whichever A-Levels they prefer. The only school that allowed students to pick and choose A-Levels told me that I couldn't take both Maths and Further Maths and as someone looking to major in Economics at Uni, almost all Unis I have my eye on (Cambridge,LSE,Warwick) stress preference towards students with a Further Math A-Level. I have also tried to look into the whole AQA/EDEXEL thing and I've gotten more and more confused seeing none of the schools have anything about this on their website.
So I guess my questions are..
1> Is there a major difference between the way Indian and UK schools do the A-Levels?
2> Is it possible for me to take both Math and FM?
3> Is the whole picking A-Levels not a thing in India?
4> What's the whole AQA/EDEXEL thing and does it really matter?
5> Is an EPQ and an IPQ the same thing?
So, I'm not going to be incredibly useful but I'm a tamil living in the UK and have family in chennai.
As far as I know, most International schools in chennai do IB and not A levels so they do different things.
Also I have heard of ppl apply with 12th results to university in the UK but I'm not 100% certain. Email the university admissions.
IB will not have AQA and Edexcel I think. They're slightly different but nonetheless, you will be able to successfully apply with IB.

1) definitely there is some difference in terms of learning perhaps not the content but a far as I know, the UK learning is more application based whilst in India its more textbook knowledge. But ofc I'm going off second hand knowledge.
2) you should be able to but you will actually come to learn that in India maths is much difficult than the UK. Your CBSE maths will probably both FM and maths here.
3) Not sure. I've heard that they split you into science and arts ?
5) yes as said previously EPQ is the A level version and IPQ is the IB version.

all of this is just interpreted knowledge. I don't know any specifics and I hope it helps somehow.
username3994304
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aqa and Edexcel are just exam boards - it doesn’t matter which exam board you chose but the content may vary slightly. You still get the same a level at the end though.
hadeelmm2406
Rep:
?
(Original post by _ks233)
So, I'm not going to be incredibly useful but I'm a tamil living in the UK and have family in chennai.
As far as I know, most International schools in chennai do IB and not A levels so they do different things.
Also I have heard of ppl apply with 12th results to university in the UK but I'm not 100% certain. Email the university admissions.
IB will not have AQA and Edexcel I think. They're slightly different but nonetheless, you will be able to successfully apply with IB.

1) definitely there is some difference in terms of learning perhaps not the content but a far as I know, the UK learning is more application based whilst in India its more textbook knowledge. But ofc I'm going off second hand knowledge.
2) you should be able to but you will actually come to learn that in India maths is much difficult than the UK. Your CBSE maths will probably both FM and maths here.
3) Not sure. I've heard that they split you into science and arts ?
5) yes as said previously EPQ is the A level version and IPQ is the IB version.

all of this is just interpreted knowledge. I don't know any specifics and I hope it helps somehow.
Yeah, I know that a lot of international schools in Chennai do IB and not the A-Levels but the schools I have searched up do offer A-Levels.
I know that CBSE is a lot more memorization based, I am looking to switch over from CBSE to IGCSE mainly for that reason but additionally CBSE has an attendance criteria which is very hard to meet because I aim to play cricket professionally and there is a lot of travelling involved.
Thanks for your help anyway
hadeelmm2406
Rep:
?
(Original post by HMajid198)
Aqa and Edexcel are just exam boards - it doesn’t matter which exam board you chose but the content may vary slightly. You still get the same a level at the end though.
Is there a preference to either exam board by unis?
Thanks for your help
_ks233
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there a preference to either exam board by unis?
Thanks for your help
No preference on exam board
_ks233
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I know that a lot of international schools in Chennai do IB and not the A-Levels but the schools I have searched up do offer A-Levels.
I know that CBSE is a lot more memorization based, I am looking to switch over from CBSE to IGCSE mainly for that reason but additionally CBSE has an attendance criteria which is very hard to meet because I aim to play cricket professionally and there is a lot of travelling involved.
Thanks for your help anyway
My cousins go to IB, I would say its more standardised for Indian education. But good luck
username3994304
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unis don’t care about the exam board mainly the subject - so either is fine
hadeelmm2406
Rep:
?
Thanks
hadeelmm2406
Rep:
?
(Original post by _ks233)
My cousins go to IB, I would say its more standardised for Indian education. But good luck
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (130)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (62)
13.63%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (88)
19.34%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.23%

Watched Threads