awjackson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
PLEASE HELP
So i'm in y11 and taking gcse music. Last year we had a really terrible teacher and so basically did nothing but this year I have a really good teacher who is going to teach us the whole course in one year
But basically my problem is that I have mocks in 4 weeks and I have practically no notes on anything and no idea how to revise. I don't know how much detail i'm supposed to know each of the set pieces in. I'm a grade 8/9 student in all my subjects and don't want to get let down by this!

Can anyone help point me to how to revise and to any resources they made/found??
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which exam board?
awjackson
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Which exam board?
Edexcel
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Trust me - make notes from the textbook! Read every page thoroughly, and write notes (I suggest making a table, with headers Melody, Rhythm, Texture, etc.) for each set work. You'll find that every single exam question can be answered by referring to these tables.
awjackson
Rep:
?
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
Trust me - make notes from the textbook! Read every page thoroughly, and write notes (I suggest making a table, with headers Melody, Rhythm, Texture, etc.) for each set work. You'll find that every single exam question can be answered by referring to these tables.
Do you mean the CGP revision guide or a textbook? I have the cgp revision guide but I've found its more a general overview of the pieces and doesn't go into enough detail. So on exam questions I never know enough
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by awjackson)
Do you mean the CGP revision guide or a textbook? I have the cgp revision guide but I've found its more a general overview of the pieces and doesn't go into enough detail. So on exam questions I never know enough
Oh textbook, for sure. I didn't find the CGP helpful at all.
awjackson
Rep:
?
Oh textbook, for sure. I didn't find the CGP helpful at all.
Do you know where I can get the textbook from?
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know where I can get the textbook from?
I bought mine for $10 off someone in the year above at my school xD I'd honestly give it to you for free (as I'm in Y13 atm) but I doubt we're in the same country. They sell it on Amazon though: https://www.amazon.com/Edexcel-GCSE-.../dp/1292123141
AshRevise
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I totally agree. I would say that you need to familiarise yourself with each set work thoroughly. Listen to them in your spare time as I find that the more I listen to it, the more I remember all of the features (and am revising without even realising it!). Make sure you have detailed comments for all the following points for each set work:
1. Structure/Form
2. Stylistic features, e.g. Romantic features for Beethoven Piano Sonata and Baroque features in the Baroque ones
3. How it relates to the context (e.g. Star Wars and the film, or Defying Gravity and what is happening on stage)
4. Be able to justify your opinions and preferences of each of the set works with musical knowledge

And, most importantly, you need detailed ideas on these

The 7 elements:
1. Melody and Harmony
2. Tonality
3. Structure
4. Sonority
5. Texture
6. Tempo, metre, rhythm
7. Dynamics

Don't forget to practise dictation questions too. Just try notating some popular songs, I find that helps me.

BBC Bitesize have some really good stuff, but sometimes they miss out some of the elements so check out for that.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Edexcel
Oh cool, that’s the one I did too - I found these YouTube channels useful:‘Edexcel music gcse set works’, ‘Mr Morgan’ and ‘James Stevenson’

I don’t think I have them anymore, but I made lists for all of the set works with about 4 examples of each musical category - melody, harmony+tonality, rhythm etc. (I think you’ll be able to find all of them on the specification) which helped me to learn and pick more out when listening to the set works

Also it’s good to learn the typical features of the different musical periods, especially baroque, (for music for a while) classical and romantic (for the piano sonata)
Last edited by laurawatt; 1 month ago
awjackson
Rep:
?
I bought mine for $10 off someone in the year above at my school xD I'd honestly give it to you for free (as I'm in Y13 atm) but I doubt we're in the same country. They sell it on Amazon though: https://www.amazon.com/Edexcel-GCSE-.../dp/1292123141
I live in the UK, cambridgeshire, I would be happy to pay for shipping??. But thanks this looks very useful
Last edited by awjackson; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.47%
No - I have already returned home (26)
11.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (23)
9.87%
No - I live at home during term anyway (70)
30.04%

Watched Threads