I like my friends over my family is that ok?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A months ago I was just asked me if I like my best friend more or my sister and I said my friend. Since my family mention it often that I like my friend more than my own sister and they always use it as something against me like ooh I like my friend better than my own sister. I just told them my honest answer, just because it’s not what they prefer they don’t need to hate me for it. Its my choice who I want better. My sister pisses me off, screams, cries all the ****ing time. I have the right to pick who I like better. My friend helps me and everything. Also they twist my words as too and saying I like my friend more than all my family but all I said was my sister.
deadroseex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like my family. I would pick my bestmate to, over my sister. Nothing's wrong with it, families are complicated, you love them but theres always something better tbh
Anonymous #1
(Original post by deadroseex)
Sounds like my family. I would pick my bestmate to, over my sister. Nothing's wrong with it, families are complicated, you love them but theres always something better tbh
Yes they wouldn’t leave me alone about it the other day they all come to my room and start asking loads of questions about it. They all come to my bedroom and crowd round me asking me loads of stuff and talking about it. It just was extremely frustrating because it’s just a small little thing that . They were just their crowding round my me asking, they we getting in my personal space when my siblings sat next to me on both sides of me, they were just making a big massive out of it and they wouldn’t go for about 45 minutes but it felt way longer than that.
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I never really liked the saying 'blood is thicker than water'. So is maple syrup.
Last edited by Alienated.; 1 month ago
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes this is ok.

Tell your family to leave you alone and move on with their lives, it's not that deep.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by zKlown)
Yes this is ok.

Tell your family to leave you alone and move on with their lives, it's not that deep.
They think it’s messed up
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alienated.)
I never really liked the saying 'blood is thicker than water'. So is maple syrup.
You probably need blood more than maple syrup to survive.
Anonymous #1
Exactly
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, don't feel bad about it. Just because you're related to somebody by blood doesn't mean that you've got to pick them over anyone else.
Ultimately, it's down to the way they treat you. After all, if you're really good friends with somebody, they become almost like family, wouldn't you agree?
Alienated.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tolgash)
You probably need blood more than maple syrup.
You also need water.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
Honestly, don't feel bad about it. Just because you're related to somebody by blood doesn't mean that you've got to pick them over anyone else.
Ultimately, it's down to the way they treat you. After all, if you're really good friends with somebody, they become almost like family, wouldn't you agree?
I agree
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You also need water.
In that case, none should be preferred.
Alienated.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In that case, none should be preferred.
Exactly why I hate the saying, 'blood is thicker than water'.
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exactly why I hate the saying, 'blood is thicker than water'.
I understand. It's actually a distorted quote anyway.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Family is bs

My friends have been the one's who have shaped my life. If it wasn't for my friends and experiences I've shared with them, I wouldn't be the person I am today.

My family have supported me when I was younger by putting a roof over my head and feeding me, but we haven't created many memories together at all...
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yup, right off of Google: "The actual saying is “the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb”. The meaning of this saying is actually the opposite of the way we use it. The saying actually means that bonds that you’ve made by choice are more important than the people that you are bound to by the water of the womb. The saying reflects the fact that the bonds you choose for yourself can mean much more than the ones you don’t have much say in." Very interesting tbh, never knew that!

I understand. It's actually a distorted quote anyway.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A months ago I was just asked me if I like my best friend more or my sister and I said my friend. Since my family mention it often that I like my friend more than my own sister and they always use it as something against me like ooh I like my friend better than my own sister. I just told them my honest answer, just because it’s not what they prefer they don’t need to hate me for it. Its my choice who I want better. My sister pisses me off, screams, cries all the ****ing time. I have the right to pick who I like better. My friend helps me and everything. Also they twist my words as too and saying I like my friend more than all my family but all I said was my sister.
Tell them you like your friend but you love your sister. Love does not have to mean like when it comes to family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
31.15%
No - I have already returned home (8)
13.11%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (12)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (3)
4.92%
No - I live at home during term anyway (19)
31.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise