No clue where to start in the slightest.

Watch
3hunnabb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
8 months until GCSE. I am working at a grade 5-6 in Maths and Computing and a grade 6-7 in Business, Physics, Chemistry and English.

I want 8s in not only my actual GCSE's, but my December mocks too. I have NO clue where to start. My skills have heavily deteriorated due to lockdown, and I have LOTS of catching up to do in everything- I might as well be starting Year 10 right now.

Does anyone here have a FULL guide to GCSE revision? What I mean by that is, does anyone here have all their revision sources, notes and syllabus's fully sorted out for higher tier already, ready to use with a revision plan?

I should also mention that I have NO revision sources, notes or anything of the kind- so I am starting from scratch here.

I would be incredibly appreciative if you could share, as I am currently completely stuck and I have no clue what to do to get the grades I want- It all just seems too confusing/too much for me to go through right now.
thereisalightx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly I'd print out the specification of every subject you're doing and use it as a checklist with revision. There's probably some things you don't need to revise as much as others, and it's a more structured approach. Then go through each of the topics, highlighting the specification as you've made notes or however you're revising it. Mind maps or Flashcards are also a good way to learn.

I'd say create a revision timetable to help you stay on top of things, but personally it didn't work for me so I suppose it's worth a try but if you struggle to stick to it then it's not the end of the world. The main thing is to break revision up into smaller chunks (through the specification, revising a part of a topic at once)

The next thing (and I cannot stress this enough) is exam questions. For subjects like maths and English where they're harder to revise by topic, I'd start with them now. Then mark the paper and revise anything you've got wrong and do practice questions. For other subjects, once you've finished revising a topic you could do exam questions and go over anything you werent as sure on.

Lastly, I wouldn't stress too much about mock results. Think of the mocks as a way to see what you need to revise more and what you're already strong on.
Basically, start as soon as possible, break it up into smaller chunks and revise consistently
3hunnabb
Rep:
?
(Original post by thereisalightx)
Firstly I'd print oI prut the specification of every subject you're doing and use it as a checklist with revision. There's probably some things you don't need to revise as much as others, and it's a more structured approach. Then go through each of the topics, highlighting the specification as you've made notes or however you're revising it. Mind maps or Flashcards are also a good way to learn.

I'd say create a revision timetable to help you stay on top of things, but personally it didn't work for me so I suppose it's worth a try but if you struggle to stick to it then it's not the end of the world. The main thing is to break revision up into smaller chunks (through the specification, revising a part of a topic at once)

The next thing (and I cannot stress this enough) is exam questions. For subjects like maths and English where they're harder to revise by topic, I'd start with them now. Then mark the paper and revise anything you've got wrong and do practice questions. For other subjects, once you've finished revising a topic you could do exam questions and go over anything you weren't as sure on.

Lastly, I wouldn't stress too much about mock results. Think of the mocks as a way to see what you need to revise more and what you're already strong on.
Basically, start as soon as possible, break it up into smaller chunks and revise consistently
Ok, so, I did what you said.
I printed off the specifications for Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Business and am currently in the process of writing a more 'refined' specification for English Language and Literature, all of which I will use as checklists/guides for my revision.

I've also found this site called revisionworld which has all of the past papers for all subjects and exam boards, which I will use for practicing my application skills and exam skills.

I've also just bought a shedload of small cards which I plan to write simplified notes on as I revise, hopefully allowing me to quickly flick over everything before my exams/at the end of revision sessions.

However, I am still not sure about one thing; revision sites. What do you think are the best possible sites I could use to revise Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Business and English Language and Literature (bearing in mind that I am aiming for 8s)?

Currently, I plan to use Corbettmaths and DrFrostMaths for Maths as both sites cover everything + have practice questions and videos, so I believe I am solid there for a grade 7/8. But, as all the other subjects go, I have no clue what sites I should use.

Thank you again in advance.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/z98jmp3
thereisalightx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 3hunnabb)
Ok, so, I did what you said.
I printed off the specifications for Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Business and am currently in the process of writing a more 'refined' specification for English Language and Literature, all of which I will use as checklists/guides for my revision.

I've also found this site called revisionworld which has all of the past papers for all subjects and exam boards, which I will use for practicing my application skills and exam skills.

I've also just bought a shedload of small cards which I plan to write simplified notes on as I revise, hopefully allowing me to quickly flick over everything before my exams/at the end of revision sessions.

However, I am still not sure about one thing; revision sites. What do you think are the best possible sites I could use to revise Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Business and English Language and Literature (bearing in mind that I am aiming for 8s)?

Currently, I plan to use Corbettmaths and DrFrostMaths for Maths as both sites cover everything + have practice questions and videos, so I believe I am solid there for a grade 7/8. But, as all the other subjects go, I have no clue what sites I should use.

Thank you again in advance.
For maths I used maths genie, it breaks it down into the topics and has loads of past papers. For science I used free science lessons on YouTube, but physics and maths tutor is also good for topic summaries and exam questions

Also textbooks or any resources your school produces would be helpful
#anonymous_user
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
8 months until GCSE. I am working at a grade 5-6 in Maths and Computing and a grade 6-7 in Business, Physics, Chemistry and English.

I want 8s in not only my actual GCSE's, but my December mocks too. I have NO clue where to start. My skills have heavily deteriorated due to lockdown, and I have LOTS of catching up to do in everything- I might as well be starting Year 10 right now.

Does anyone here have a FULL guide to GCSE revision? What I mean by that is, does anyone here have all their revision sources, notes and syllabus's fully sorted out for higher tier already, ready to use with a revision plan?

I should also mention that I have NO revision sources, notes or anything of the kind- so I am starting from scratch here.

I would be incredibly appreciative if you could share, as I am currently completely stuck and I have no clue what to do to get the grades I want- It all just seems too confusing/too much for me to go through right now.
Save my exams is also really good for science
3hunnabb
Rep:
?
(Original post by thereisalightx)
For maths I used maths genie, it breaks it down into the topics and has loads of past papers. For science I used free science lessons on YouTube, but physics and maths tutor is also good for topic summaries and exam questions

Also textbooks or any resources your school produces would be helpful
Just out of interest, what did you get on your GCSE's?
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I want 8s is not only my actual GCSE's, but my December mocks too. I have NO clue where to start. My skills have heavily deteriorated due to lockdown, and I have LOTS of catching up to do in everything- I might as well be starting Year 10 right now.

CGP books m8! You can find some of them online in pdf form (e.g. type in: CGP Physics Gcse [insert exam board here] pdf). The best thing about GCSEs is that you can ALWAYS catch up!
Last edited by username5420160; 1 month ago
thereisalightx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just out of interest, what did you get on your GCSE's?
One 9 (maths), 8s in all three sciences, English lit and RE, five 7s and one 6 (drama)

in 2019
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used mathswatch for maths and just did papers from mathsgenie. Then for sciences the cgp will save you. Literally a godsend
Revise from the Cgp guides and you Will get 9s
For English lit write flashcards for quotes and analyse then. It’s practice papers for English literature and language
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used skillsworkshop, mymaths.co.uk and past papers. I also used flashcards as well.
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I would advise using Seneca learn for science subjects and Dr Frost for maths. Both are great.
3hunnabb
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
I used mathswatch for maths and just did papers from mathsgenie. Then for sciences the cgp will save you. Literally a godsend
Revise from the Cgp guides and you Will get 9s
For English lit write flashcards for quotes and analyse then. It’s practice papers for English literature and language
So far, this is what my revision source/material list looks:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maths:

1) Mathswatch Videos + make flashcards as you watch.

2) Maths Genie questions + Past paper questions

3) Study new flashcards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chemistry:

1) Free Science Lessons Videos + make flashcards as you watch.

2) CGP Book + Past paper questions

3) Study new flashcards.

Computing:

1) Craig & Dave Videos + make flashcards as you watch.

2) Past paper questions

3) Study new flashcards.

Physics:

1) Free Science Lessons Videos + make flashcards as you watch.

2) CGP Book + Past paper questions

3) Study new flashcards.

Business:

1) GCSE Pod videos + make flashcards as you watch.

2) Past paper questions

3) Study new flashcards.

English Language:

1) Past paper questions + make flashcards as you study.

2) Study new flashcards.

English Literature:

1) Past paper questions + make flashcards as you study.

2) Study new flashcards.

Is there ANYTHING else I could add to guarantee a grade 7/8/9 for all the subjects listed? Could I be using better/more effective sources/methods? I know for a fact that I could do much more for Literature, but I have no clue what. Thank you very much in advance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed