I don’t understand this NHS policy, can anyone explain

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m an healthcare worker and have a student on placement who lives with her sister. She told me last week that her sister had tested positive for covid and that she was isolating for 14 days then common back (as per policy) passing the placement/achieving her objectives is another issue, it’s not what I’m concerned about.

My worry is the policy ie she doesn’t even require a test before comming back. What if she only catches covid from her brother on say day 8 ? Then she’s back in work in day 10 😒
Anonymous #1
Her sister sorry. She said that she has a large family.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m an healthcare worker and have a student on placement who lives with her sister. She told me last week that her sister had tested positive for covid and that she was isolating for 14 days then common back (as per policy) passing the placement/achieving her objectives is another issue, it’s not what I’m concerned about.

My worry is the policy ie she doesn’t even require a test before comming back. What if she only catches covid from her brother on say day 8 ? Then she’s back in work in day 10 😒
If she catches the virus and has symptoms, her isolation period would start again from when she gets symptoms. She would need to get tested herself if that happens.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
If she catches the virus and has symptoms, her isolation period would start again from when she gets symptoms. She would need to get tested herself if that happens.
Yea this is true. It doesn’t tackle the issues of firstly her being asymptomatic and possibly having it and secondly if she catches it on day 8 then comes in to work it’s too late.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yea this is true. It doesn’t tackle the issues of firstly her being asymptomatic and possibly having it and secondly if she catches it on day 8 then comes in to work it’s too late.
She needs to self-isolate for 14 days so she would know by that point if she had caught it on day 8.
Anonymous #1
She needs to self-isolate for 14 days so she would know by that point if she had caught it on day 8.
I mean she has 10 days left to isolate, if she catches it on day 8 she’ll be back in work before she knows she has symptoms.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are most contagious early in the course I believe. That's why.

Can you guarantee she's negative? No.
Might a test be safer, given many health professionals get them weekly anyway? Maybe.
Might it produce a false positive? Also possible.

I'd stick to policy. Its all you can do.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
many health professionals get them weekly anyway?
Do they?
Anonymous #1
You are most contagious early in the course I believe. That's why.

Can you guarantee she's negative? No.
Might a test be safer, given many health professionals get them weekly anyway? Maybe.
Might it produce a false positive? Also possible.

I'd stick to policy. Its all you can do.
I feel on edge about it though, I’d be much more reassured if the policy was that she had a test. Or co to yes her placement at home somehow.

I can suggest this but the people who make the decision are sat safely working from home. Its not them who will be at risk. Its me and the 2 others in our team who will be sharing an office and working with her.
Anonymous #1
Do they?
Not that I’ve heard of no one that I know at my trust does this. Ive heard it being suggested though.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel on edge about it though, I’d be much more reassured if the policy was that she had a test. Or co to yes her placement at home somehow.

I can suggest this but the people who make the decision are sat safely working from home. Its not them who will be at risk. Its me and the 2 others in our team who will be sharing an office and working with her.
I don't know what you do, but surely you are more at risk of getting coronavirus from a patient than this person who has followed guidelines and self-isolated for the recommended period?
Anonymous #1
I don't know what you do, but surely you are more at risk of getting coronavirus from a patient than this person who has followed guidelines and self-isolated for the recommended period?
May be right. I’m just thinking firstly all patients are swabbed. We wear full ppe on wards -apron etc and any patients are isolated in their rooms until they test negative.

With the student we won’t have full ppe ( just masks) and I’l be up close and personal teaching her things on the computer/sharing an offfice. Not even knowing if she has covid or not!
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
May be right. I’m just thinking firstly all patients are swabbed. We wear full ppe on wards -apron etc and any patients are isolated in their rooms until they test negative.

With the student we won’t have full ppe ( just masks) and I’l be up close and personal teaching her things on the computer/sharing an offfice. Not even knowing if she has covid or not!
Surely it takes some time for the swab results to come back so you will be seeing the patients for a while not knowing whether they have covid or not? And unless you are going to be touching the student, surely the mask will be enough? Just clean your hands regularly and avoid touching your face.
Anonymous #1
Surely it takes some time for the swab results to come back so you will be seeing the patients for a while not knowing whether they have covid or not? And unless you are going to be touching the student, surely the mask will be enough? Just clean your hands regularly and avoid touching your face.
On arrival patients are treated as positive/isolate and full ppe is worn until swab results come back.
Guess I just don’t want to take uneccasary risks, learning is important but basically lives are at risk.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On arrival patients are treated as positive/isolate and full ppe is worn until swab results come back.
Guess I just don’t want to take uneccasary risks, learning is important but basically lives are at risk.
more lives will be at risk a few years down the line if healthcare students aren't taught!
Anonymous #1
more lives will be at risk a few years down the line if healthcare students aren't taught!
Not as many as if covid positive ones are treating patients! Its not something to be pc on or mess about with, we could do with being as sure as possible that staff are not carrying covid.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can I ask why you think it should be one rule for one type of person self isolating and another rule for health professionals?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Can I ask why you think it should be one rule for one type of person self isolating and another rule for health professionals?
I don’t it should be the same for all healthcare workers. It’s strange times and there’s always things to find to moan/argue about when it comes to rules etc.
Im just seeing situations where more can be done to minimise risk exp as we’re all still learning about this.

I’ll look into this more tomorrow. Thanks for your help and replies.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Students have lost so much learning already, we simply can't have our healthcare students missing out by half-hearted distance learning any more. She needs to come back.

Literally everyone else in our society isolates for 2 weeks. No that's not a magic number where the risk is absolutely exactly zero, but its very low. She's a valuable employee and needs to come back.

Separately, if you want to look up the existing evidence for how long someone is contagious for, and identify trusts who swab weekly so you can go to your trust with the evidence to make a policy change, feel free to do so. Don't take it out on this one student though.

Do they?
Well, some then. At my trust about half of front line staff are offered it.

Uni of Cambridge does weekly swabs just on its students! https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/cambridge...nt-in-colleges
Anonymous #1
Students have lost so much learning already, we simply can't have our healthcare students missing out by half-hearted distance learning any more. She needs to come back.

Literally everyone else in our society isolates for 2 weeks. No that's not a magic number where the risk is absolutely exactly zero, but its very low. She's a valuable employee and needs to come back.

Separately, if you want to look up the existing evidence for how long someone is contagious for, and identify trusts who swab weekly so you can go to your trust with the evidence to make a policy change, feel free to do so. Don't take it out on this one student though.

Well, some then. At my trust about half of front line staff are offered it.

Uni of Cambridge does weekly swabs just on its students! https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/cambridge...nt-in-colleges
Cheers. To be fair I’m the only one in our team in full time and who agreed to take a student. Everyone else is part time/safely working from home. I’m just asking that we do all we can to ensure she’s not comming in with covid, as I would with the rest of my team, it’s not a big ask. I’m not taking anything out on anyone I feel it’s the other way round as I’m new to this and the only one who’s physically in and dealing with it all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (715)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (904)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads