Which university to choose?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Which university would you choose for a bachelor's degree? And why?

Sciences Po
University of Sorbonne (Philosophy)
University of Amsterdam (PPLE)
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Which university would you choose for a bachelor's degree? And why?

Sciences Po
University of Sorbonne (Philosophy)
University of Amsterdam (PPLE)
I think you should make the decision based on your personal requirements. Amsterdam and Sciences Po are in different countries. You also have to think about your future interests and whether the universities can help you to achieve them or, at least, put you on the path towards achieving them.

Here is a link to QS World Ranking that may provide some additional factors for you:
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2021

Good luck
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I think you should make the decision based on your personal requirements. Amsterdam and Sciences Po are in different countries. You also have to think about your future interests and whether the universities can help you to achieve them or, at least, put you on the path towards achieving them.

Here is a link to QS World Ranking that may provide some additional factors for you:
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2021

Good luck
Thank you for an answer I want to be a journalist or work in the field of politics. Sciences Po is known to be a prestigious school and it is known to prepare journalists very well. I have heard, that many talented French people do not get into this university due to an extremely difficult selection process. Meanwhile UvA has much higher QS World Ranking than Sciences Po. Sorbonne is actually my third option.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for an answer I want to be a journalist or work in the field of politics. Sciences Po is known to be a prestigious school and it is known to prepare journalists very well. I have heard, that many talented French people do not get into this university due to an extremely difficult selection process. Meanwhile UvA has much higher QS World Ranking than Sciences Po. Sorbonne is actually my third option.
If you are focused on journalism and Sciences Po provides the best preparation of the 3 listed above, then I’d suggest that you go there. I think you should go to the best university for your subject.

I don't think you should choose a university now. You should apply to 3 of them and then decide afterwards.

If you are interested in other universities, you can have a look at British universities like Oxford/Cambridge, UCL, LSE or Durham.

PS: Oxford’s PPE is a well-known course for politics.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
I think you also need to take into account the language you are able to manipulate the best. I imagine that the courses in the Sorbonne will be taught in French, Sciences Po probably in English/French, and UvA is Dutch or English. If there is a certain language that you are not fluent in, it could rule out one of the options as you are likely to get better grades in the others. Also, where do you want to live in the future?

But as someone said above, apply to all 3 and chose later sounds like a good decision. There's no guarantee you'll get into all 3, so that would help narrow it down maybe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (534)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (647)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (317)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.59%

Watched Threads