Is a turnitin score of 19% bad?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just submitted an assignment for university (2nd year) and I just recieved a turnitin score of 19%. Is this bad? I've heard that a turnitin score of above 10% is bad. Do I need to make some adjustments in order to get a 1st/2:1?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just submitted an assignment for university (2nd year) and I just recieved a turnitin score of 19%. Is this bad? I've heard that a turnitin score of above 10% is bad. Do I need to make some adjustments in order to get a 1st/2:1?
Depends where the 19% was. I got higher scores than that when doing assignments because it all came from my references/appendix. If the 19% is blocks of text which has been plagiarised/paraphrased incorrectly, then you'd be in trouble. But if it is just odd words e.g. names and your references then you'll be fine.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
You're in 2nd year and have never submitted anything through turnitin yet?
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it was mainly due to bibliography and your references then it doesn’t matter
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
19% sounds pretty low but it depends entirely on what is flagged. If you have not referenced everything correctly then you have an issue, if you have then consider that 81% is your own work with 19% as, whatever content it is.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

I am currently doing a essay through turn it in and the lecturers said the % should be below 20%.
This is because we are all following a similar framework for our questions - so we might have the same headings and subheadings for example - and parts of the scenario
Also there will be some references that will be the same!

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
A+B+C
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really depends on the content. If it's all your work and you've referenced things correctly you shouldn't have much to worry about.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
You're in 2nd year and have never submitted anything through turnitin yet?
Nope, 1st year didn't count so my uni never bothered with it.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Depends where the 19% was. I got higher scores than that when doing assignments because it all came from my references/appendix. If the 19% is blocks of text which has been plagiarised/paraphrased incorrectly, then you'd be in trouble. But if it is just odd words e.g. names and your references then you'll be fine.
It's mainly titles and subheadings that have been flagged. I manged to get it down to 16% just by rewording one sentence.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Nope, 1st year didn't count so my uni never bothered with it.
Wow! Thats interesting to hear. I had about 8 assignments due in first year that went through turnitin, alongside christmas/april time exams.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's mainly titles and subheadings that have been flagged. I manged to get it down to 16% just by rewording one sentence.
Then you're absolutely fine.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So turnitin score doesn't relate to your mark.

turnitin is a plagiarism checker, and it doesn't matter, its just if your score is higher then lecturers might just look at what you've referenced. As long as you have cited all your sources and used references appropriately it won't matter.

Their is always some variation, I've had scores from 1% to near 30% over my years as a student yet it was never an issue, because it wasn't plagiarised...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (715)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.8%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads