What are the different ways of going into the orthoptics field?

Watch
blahblah2000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, ive applied for optometry at uni and it seems really interesting to me but i know, after i dont want to work as an optometrist just dispensing glasses and stuff, and i think i'd prefer being an orthoptist, but theres no uni near me and i dont wanna leave home. So i was thinking of doing an orthoptics postgraduate course but i dont think they exist (or else im just bad at researching). So i was wondering is there a way to go into the orthoptics field after doing an optometry undergrad or do i have to do another orthoptics undergraduate course?
Any advice would be appreciated thankss
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Read : https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ons/orthoptist
Courses : https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/car...r_name_tid=All
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blahblah2000)
So, ive applied for optometry at uni and it seems really interesting to me but i know, after i dont want to work as an optometrist just dispensing glasses and stuff, and i think i'd prefer being an orthoptist, but theres no uni near me and i dont wanna leave home. So i was thinking of doing an orthoptics postgraduate course but i dont think they exist (or else im just bad at researching). So i was wondering is there a way to go into the orthoptics field after doing an optometry undergrad or do i have to do another orthoptics undergraduate course?
Any advice would be appreciated thankss
Hi!

Current Orthoptics student from the Uni of Sheffield here! Sorry to hear you are having a change of heart with your application but it's best to realise now than later down the line! Unfortunately the only way to become an Orthoptist is through an Undergraduate degree in Orthoptics, however this can be done as a postgraduate student as it is a health care course you can be eligible for funding on the course even as a 2nd degree (would check with SFE first) . I understand you are reluctant to leave home, may I ask why? Any specific concerns you may have? I was in my first year last year and was also worried about leaving home for the first time but it was the best decision I made, having the support of a Uni when leaving home for the first time is really great and makes it so much easier! There is also the option of commuting depending on where you are living at home this could be an option to consider? Orthoptics is a really great course and I love studying it, I faced the same dilemma between optometry and orthoptics a couple years ago and I am so glad I chose Orthoptics. If you are certain on the course I would recommend considering applying to Orthoptics through clearing as there is sometimes places available if people don't get the grades etc and consider potentially commuting or making the move? Or waiting a year and applying next year is another alternative. There are Orthoptics courses in Sheffield, Liverpool and Glasgow. If you have any questions about Orthoptics or Uni life in general feel free to ask and I would love to be able to help. Wishing you the best of luck with your decision.

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
blahblah2000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, thanks for your reply! Just out of curiosity, do you know if it's common to do orthoptics as a postgraduate student or is it veryy rare? ( like are there any postgraduate students doing orthoptics at sheffield?)
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Unfortunately the only way to become an Orthoptist is through an Undergraduate degree in Orthoptics, however this can be done as a postgraduate student as it is a health care course you can be eligible for funding on the course even as a 2nd degree (would check with SFE first) . I understand you are reluctant to leave home, may I ask why? Any specific concerns you may have?
I wouldn't mind leaving home but I am unable to due to family issues and I also wouldn't be able to commute to the 3 unis from home because they're all more than 3 hrs away from me
Thank you very much for your help, it has made me consider clearing (if it's possible) and hopefully I'll decide on what I want to do by then!
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by blahblah2000)
Hi, thanks for your reply! Just out of curiosity, do you know if it's common to do orthoptics as a postgraduate student or is it veryy rare? ( like are there any postgraduate students doing orthoptics at sheffield?)

I wouldn't mind leaving home but I am unable to due to family issues and I also wouldn't be able to commute to the 3 unis from home because they're all more than 3 hrs away from me
Thank you very much for your help, it has made me consider clearing (if it's possible) and hopefully I'll decide on what I want to do by then!
Hi again,

Hope you are well! Sorry to hear about your family issues, wishing you all the best. To answer your question, No it isn't very rare to do Orthoptics as a postgraduate student, in my year there are quite a few postgraduate students and mature students also, I would say the same for this about the year above also. This might be a good option for you as by then you may be able to move away from home to be able to attend one of the Unis for Orthoptics! Hope this helps you out and as always feel free to ask anymore questions

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Hannahsmithx28
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hey I've applied to orthoptics in Liverpool and have just recieved an interview offer. Can you remember what types of questions they ask you? I've seen loads of medicine question examples but none on orthoptics! My interview is December 9th so I'm kinda stressing.Thank you!
Rep:
?
Report 7 minutes ago
(Original post by Hannahsmithx28)
Hey I've applied to orthoptics in Liverpool and have just recieved an interview offer. Can you remember what types of questions they ask you? I've seen loads of medicine question examples but none on orthoptics! My interview is December 9th so I'm kinda stressing.Thank you!
Hi Hannah,

I didn't actually apply to Liverpool, only Sheffield so have only experienced Sheffields interview process for Orthoptics. My advice would be, as they will probably ask similar questions, to make sure you understand the role of an Orthoptist well and know what they do in the eye clinic and be able to differentiate their role from other members of an eye clinic team (Optometrists and Ophthalmologists). Might sound simple but there are lots of people who apply not knowing the differences between the professions! Make sure to be passionate about the course, the admissions tutors just want to see individuals who are keen to help and provide in an NHS career. I would recommend reading up on the NHS values, a lot of questions are asked around these and the tutors are often looking for you to demonstrate you understand, appreciate and adopt these values. Any work experience is a great talking point to give evidence for these values, doesn't need to be in the Orthoptics field, any experience with transferable skills and demonstrate you undertaking NHS values (such as compassion) is really good. You could also find an area of the course you are really interested in and do some research, this gives you a good talking point if it happens to be appropriate for a question and shows your dedication and passion for the course. A good topic to look into I would say would be Strabismus (very broad topic) but just looking into its meaning and some basic types of strabismus could be a good talking point, its one of the first things you learn when starting the course so would also be handy to have some pre knowledge. (you won't be expected to know any course content just an idea of something extra)

Hope this helps you out! Feel free to ask anymore questions

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.28%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.71%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.2%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.84%
No - I live at home during term anyway (47)
25.97%

Watched Threads