The Student Room Group

Photography vs Politics A level

Poll

Photography vs Politics A level

I am having a dilemma to choose between A level Photography and Politics.

I have just joined year 12 and I am doing Spanish, sociology, photography and politics however i need to drop one because i am also planning on doing EPQ , Young enterprise and many other extra curriculars and if i do 4 alevels i am not going to have enough time for everything else and find myself stressed.

My job when i am older has nothing to do with photography but i enjoy taking photographs and the hands on work instead of always writing essays. I generally find politics boring but i know it is well respected and in the preferred list of subjects when applying to Uni.

I am just very stuck and if you have any advise i would really appreciate it

Would this decrease my chance of getting into Oxford, Cambridge or Harvard?
A levels are difficult enough as it is if you enjoy the subject. Finding politics boring is a sure sign that you shouldn't be doing it! If you enjoy photography you should take it! And to answer your question about getting into Oxbridge or Harvard, it really would depend on what you were planning to study as to whether taking photography instead of politics would affect your chances of getting in. As far as I know, as long as meet the requirements, have a good personal statement and get good grades, you'll be invited for an interview.
I’d usually always recommend politics on here to the people who ask about it, but if you find politics in general boring then don’t do it!! If oxbridge have a list of a levels that they don’t accept (unsure if that’s a thing - I know they don’t like general studies but that’s about it!) and photography is on that list then obviously consider other options but I’d go with photography otherwise. Spanish is a very respected subject and sociology also appears on accepted/recommended lists from what I remember, if 2/3 of your subjects are recommended by unis then you should be fine. I never looked in the states for uni so don’t know much about Harvard but I’m pretty sure in America they value your extra curriculars almost as heavily as grades so I think you’re on the right track there! Just do what you like or you won’t want to study it and you won’t get the top grades you need for these unis, and your grades ultimately matter more than the subjects in most cases.
Reply 3
Original post by 21boardm3
A levels are difficult enough as it is if you enjoy the subject. Finding politics boring is a sure sign that you shouldn't be doing it! If you enjoy photography you should take it! And to answer your question about getting into Oxbridge or Harvard, it really would depend on what you were planning to study as to whether taking photography instead of politics would affect your chances of getting in. As far as I know, as long as meet the requirements, have a good personal statement and get good grades, you'll be invited for an interview.

Thank you so much for your advice, it has made things a lot clearer for me!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by milliewastestime
I’d usually always recommend politics on here to the people who ask about it, but if you find politics in general boring then don’t do it!! If oxbridge have a list of a levels that they don’t accept (unsure if that’s a thing - I know they don’t like general studies but that’s about it!) and photography is on that list then obviously consider other options but I’d go with photography otherwise. Spanish is a very respected subject and sociology also appears on accepted/recommended lists from what I remember, if 2/3 of your subjects are recommended by unis then you should be fine. I never looked in the states for uni so don’t know much about Harvard but I’m pretty sure in America they value your extra curriculars almost as heavily as grades so I think you’re on the right track there! Just do what you like or you won’t want to study it and you won’t get the top grades you need for these unis, and your grades ultimately matter more than the subjects in most cases.

Thank you so much for your reply, I am going to go with my gut feeling and drop politics with the help of your advice and from 21board :smile:
Original post by joanaar
Thank you so much for your reply, I am going to go with my gut feeling and drop politics with the help of your advice and from 21board :smile:

No problem, happy to help! Have fun doing photography 😊

Quick Reply

Latest