gband
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ive got my NEA title but stuck on actually starting and forming my introduction any starting advice on how I should introduce it?
DepressedGeorge
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gband)
Ive got my NEA title but stuck on actually starting and forming my introduction any starting advice on how I should introduce it?
Hey,

So there is no 'specific' structure for an NEA, you just have to make sure it's clear and coherent. For my NEA, I started with an 'exclusive summary' which basically tells the examiner what my investigation is and what made me do it.
Then the next part - bit more tricky. If you have any hypotheses you need to sort of do a 'rationale' section for each one. You should have 3 hypotheses. What this means is that you put your first hypothesis down. Then using online resources whether that be books, articles, websites, etc you speak about the theory of your hypothesis. So for example, my investigation title is "To what extent are there relationships between housing quality and crime rates in location X?"
One of my hypotheses for this question is "Housing quality is increasing in location X, especially within its recent constructions. Subsequently, this has decreased overall crime rates"
So, for it to be considered a 'rationale hypothesis' I need to speak about the context of this hypothesis. For example, 'What new constructions? 'Where are there new houses in location X?" "How has it expanded?" Then by referencing distribution, you can use www.openstreetmap.com - that's a good website. After, for the theory behind it, I referenced an online resource which speaks about how more recent housing could influence crime-like behaviour. It is not explicitly answering the hypothesis, your goal is to create a foundation for your actual investigation. What should you expect?

Hope this helps! Your introduction should be an OVERVIEW, you shouldn't be answering any sub-questions or hypotheses, just speaking about the theory and what previous studies have said about your investigation title. Good luck!
gband
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by DepressedGeorge)
Hey,

So there is no 'specific' structure for an NEA, you just have to make sure it's clear and coherent. For my NEA, I started with an 'exclusive summary' which basically tells the examiner what my investigation is and what made me do it.
Then the next part - bit more tricky. If you have any hypotheses you need to sort of do a 'rationale' section for each one. You should have 3 hypotheses. What this means is that you put your first hypothesis down. Then using online resources whether that be books, articles, websites, etc you speak about the theory of your hypothesis. So for example, my investigation title is "To what extent are there relationships between housing quality and crime rates in location X?"
One of my hypotheses for this question is "Housing quality is increasing in location X, especially within its recent constructions. Subsequently, this has decreased overall crime rates"
So, for it to be considered a 'rationale hypothesis' I need to speak about the context of this hypothesis. For example, 'What new constructions? 'Where are there new houses in location X?" "How has it expanded?" Then by referencing distribution, you can use www.openstreetmap.com - that's a good website. After, for the theory behind it, I referenced an online resource which speaks about how more recent housing could influence crime-like behaviour. It is not explicitly answering the hypothesis, your goal is to create a foundation for your actual investigation. What should you expect?

Hope this helps! Your introduction should be an OVERVIEW, you shouldn't be answering any sub-questions or hypotheses, just speaking about the theory and what previous studies have said about your investigation title. Good luck!
Thanks so much for such a helpful response! Is it okay to include facts and evidence you have researched in your intro as I am investigating regeneration and thought I could give some context to why it is needed in the area I'm focusing on by including info such as percentages for economic change e.t.c or does this oppose it being an overview as you stated it should be?
DepressedGeorge
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gband)
Thanks so much for such a helpful response! Is it okay to include facts and evidence you have researched in your intro as I am investigating regeneration and thought I could give some context to why it is needed in the area I'm focusing on by including info such as percentages for economic change e.t.c or does this oppose it being an overview as you stated it should be?
Yes! Facts and evidence are great, it shows that you have researched the theory behind your investigation! Just make sure any you do use doesn't specifically answer your hypotheses/investigation title, you want to build context for your question. So researching why a place needs regeneration is great unless your investigation title is something like 'To what extent does location X need regeneration?" as that will need to be in your methodology/evaluation, not your intro - if that makes sense. As that is essentially what your entire NEA will be on/answering. Overall anything that adds detail behind your question that is relevant is amazing! Think of your introduction as an 'extra space' your methodology and evaluation is all the juicy stuff, where you are physically answering your hypothesis and investigation title. Whilst your introduction is just setting the scene.

Hopefully this is helpful! Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (60)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.37%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (47)
22.27%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
9.95%
No - I live at home during term anyway (59)
27.96%

Watched Threads