Do teachers care about our mental health?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I can’t speak for every school, or every teacher with my school for that matter, but I’m slightly irritated right now. Last Wednesday, I spoke to my A-Level teacher and asked for support because I came to the school in Year 12 (Year 13 now), but still feel like it’s alien to me, so I opened up about exam anxiety since I’m applying to Oxford and think it may be a mistake, my mum’s cancer (she’s recovered, but she has to undergo another operation and I’m worried it will happen all over again), my lack of friends and, as a result, my loneliness. I ended up crying in front of him which surprised me because I’ve never cried in front of someone for years, not even my own family. Anyway, he said he’d contact the pastoral team at our school straight away and that I deserve support, so I left feeling reassured.
I know it hasn’t even been a week, but either he contacted the team and they haven’t responded, or he forgot himself. The ‘team’ is actually my head of sixth form and the UCAS support teacher, who I’ve reached out to before and received hardly any support from.
Yes, before you ask, I’ve tried private counselling which I’m so grateful for, but unfortunately I had to cancel the appointment due to a classmate contracting coronavirus, so they said it could take up to a month.
I guess it’s just a matter of playing the waiting game, but I’ve lost trust in all of the teachers there now and just want to get through these exams and say au revoir.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can’t speak for every school, or every teacher with my school for that matter, but I’m slightly irritated right now. Last Wednesday, I spoke to my A-Level teacher and asked for support because I came to the school in Year 12 (Year 13 now), but still feel like it’s alien to me, so I opened up about exam anxiety since I’m applying to Oxford and think it may be a mistake, my mum’s cancer (she’s recovered, but she has to undergo another operation and I’m worried it will happen all over again), my lack of friends and, as a result, my loneliness. I ended up crying in front of him which surprised me because I’ve never cried in front of someone for years, not even my own family. Anyway, he said he’d contact the pastoral team at our school straight away and that I deserve support, so I left feeling reassured.
I know it hasn’t even been a week, but either he contacted the team and they haven’t responded, or he forgot himself. The ‘team’ is actually my head of sixth form and the UCAS support teacher, who I’ve reached out to before and received hardly any support from.
Yes, before you ask, I’ve tried private counselling which I’m so grateful for, but unfortunately I had to cancel the appointment due to a classmate contracting coronavirus, so they said it could take up to a month.
I guess it’s just a matter of playing the waiting game, but I’ve lost trust in all of the teachers there now and just want to get through these exams and say au revoir.
Sorry for any spelling errors or incomplete words, I haven’t slept lmao.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
No you’re right, my sixth form really does not care. They say look after your mental health and then give us 10 exams. They say relax during the half term but when you get back you have 2 tests and you have 5 pieces of hw due. They really really do not care. I hope everything gets better for you! Also please your mental health is far more important than exams
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Of course they don't. :lol: Have you seen the state of MH services? Clearly it isn't a priority for the Government. Preservation over Welfare right?
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Alienated.)
Of course they don't. :lol: Have you seen the state of MH services? Clearly it isn't a priority for the Government. Preservation over Welfare right?
Definitely true. The govts main problems are in order of importance:
Brexit
Presidential elections
Economy
Corona situation
Schools

Trumps wig

Mental health
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Definitely true. The govts main problems are in order of importance:
Brexit
Presidential elections
Economy
Corona situation
Schools

Trumps wig

Mental health
Haha more like:
Everything else

Mental Health :lol:
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry for any spelling errors or incomplete words, I haven’t slept lmao.
So sorry this happened but some people just do not know how

So sorry this has happened to you but looks like this guy like many people just cannot or does not know how to deal with someone in distress. I wonder if your private counsellor would consider doing your sessions by zoom instead of in person.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
You have posted this before.

The support will not materialise overnight. You are not the only person in your school who is struggling. If you think your teacher has forgotten, go back an speak to him again next week, or get in tough with the support team yourself. I think it's a bit harsh to accuse you teacher of not trying to help when it has literally been 2 work days since you spoke to him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed