Do barristers need to be a part of a chamber to practice as a barristers

Watch
HotShot A
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do barristers need to be a part of a chamber to practice as a barrister, or can they take cases to court on their own account without being part of a chamber? I understand that for pupillage you need to be part of a chamber, but after that.

Many Thanks
studifstyle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not necessarily, you can be a self-employed practitioner or you can work in chambers or in a law firm in private practice, in the CPS, in-house in a company, for the government. There are plenty of places where barristers can work.
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can't set up on your own if you have three years or less experience post-pupillage, by virtue of rS20 in the Scope of Practice section of the BSB Handbook. Before that time you need to be either practising from Chambers or be employed (and in either case there needs to be someone sufficiently experienced around to provide guidance to you).
EU Yakov
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Forum User)
You can't set up on your own if you have three years or less experience post-pupillage, by virtue of rS20 in the Scope of Practice section of the BSB Handbook. Before that time you need to be either practising from Chambers or be employed (and in either case there needs to be someone sufficiently experienced around to provide guidance to you).
i think that this is the answer they were looking for - great post
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads