The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I am not victim blaming.

It is absolutely not her fault. I just don't understand putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.

I agree with you. Drink makes you stupid. No different to guys who get piss drunk and then end up paralysed. Its sad but it still could have been easily prevented if you drank sensibly, ffs
TW: rape

Spoiler

Moderation note: Please keep replies constructive and helpful to the OP. If you are wanting to debate, please post in the Debate and Current Affairs section, not in here.

If insults and arguments continue then this thread will be closed.

Don't feel ashamed firstly you've done nothing wrong.

However if in a court of law rape is so hard to prove guilty beyond reasonable doubt unless the defendant has admitted his guilt, that doesn't mean you can't report it. (his word against yours)

People above are right where they say no consent = rape, but you may have given him consent in your drunken state the previous night which you don't remember but he does.

I am not judge or jury, I am not a witness I wasn't there, I don't know if you give consent or not, but I will say if you feel raped then report it there are charities that can help.

If you don't want to report it I suggest you learn from this encounter not to drink so much to get your self in that state so in future you won't have have the same scenarios I.e waking up naked, feeling dirty, ashamed.

You can get 3 million replies to this thread however it's down to you how you feel.

If I was your friend, relative, or lawyer I'd strongly advise you to report it, HOWEVER as mentioned above it can take a while and it might not go anywhere in terms of reaching court, thrown out of court, lack of evidence.
I strongly suggest you take some advice from charities, parents, or colllege/university counselling if they have it.
Original post by SmartUnicorn
she never said yes. the second time she also didn’t say yes but he still did it. this is rape. telling people not to drink to prevent rape is extremely ignorant and stupid.

what ever she said in a court of law it's hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt.
Attachment not found
Original post by goggleyed
"He had no contraception or hadn't even asked my consent."

You have a voice don't you, you could have easily said no. Yeah I'm gonna be that person, Idgaf.

As for last night, no that wasn't rape. That was you being a drunk.

“That” person that you’re being is the one appropriating rape culture. She did say no the night before because he didn’t have a condom firstly. Secondly, he didn’t even give her a chance to say no in the morning. Thirdly, and I cannot stress this one enough, if you are drunk, you absolutely cannot consent. He took advantage of her vulnerable state.
Original post by Golderz Is Great
honestly if your not gonna be a dentist you can be a lawyer your so smart lol:biggrin:

loll thanks Goldie :lol: you’re smart too
Original post by Chopinnocturne31

I just told smka about me(the A word but i trust her now so im not worried):smile:

Spoiler

Moderation note: Please keep replies constructive and helpful to the OP. If you are wanting to debate, please post in the Debate and Current Affairs section, not in here.

Hi, I'm so sorry this happened to you. As you didn't consent, it would be categorised as rape. Please don't feel ashamed or dirty - this is not your fault at all. If you need support, theres several amazing hotlines and resources online - rapecrisis.org.uk
Don't feel ashamed firstly you've done nothing wrong.

However if in a court of law rape is so hard to prove guilty beyond reasonable doubt unless the defendant has admitted his guilt, that doesn't mean you can't report it. (his word against yours)

People above are right where they say no consent = rape, but you may have given him consent in your drunken state the previous night which you don't remember but he does.

I am not judge or jury, I am not a witness I wasn't there, I don't know if you give consent or not, but I will say if you feel raped then report it there are charities that can help.

If you don't want to report it I suggest you learn from this encounter not to drink so much to get your self in that state so in future you won't have have the same scenarios I.e waking up naked, feeling dirty, ashamed.

You can get 3 million replies to this thread however it's down to you how you feel.

If I was your friend, relative, or lawyer I'd strongly advise you to report it, HOWEVER as mentioned above it can take a while and it might not go anywhere in terms of reaching court, thrown out of court, lack of evidence.
I strongly suggest you take some advice from charities, parents, or colllege/university counselling if they have it.

No. You can NOT consent when you're drunk. Any 'consent' given is invalid.

Im logging off now til 1050PM cos im turning blocker on(sadly i need it cos i failed without it lol)

however maybe you could ask you Mummy if you can stay up that late:biggrin:
Original post by Golderz Is Great
Im logging off now til 1050PM cos im turning blocker on(sadly i need it cos i failed without it lol)

however maybe you could ask you Mummy if you can stay up that late:biggrin:

Ok that sounds good :tongue:

Not the second bit though :colonhash:
Ok that sounds good :tongue:

Not the second bit though :colonhash:

Oh ive upset chop............not really your to kind and nice to get upset chop:smile:...and if I do upset you tell me though:colondollar:
I think that is defo rape
I'm sorry to hear about what happened
From now on carry some pepper spray or something on you and if you see him again and if he tries to do it again spray him and run then when you're sure your safe call someone that you know could pick you up or call the police.
Hope this helps x
Original post by daisyr03
No. You can NOT consent when you're drunk. Any 'consent' given is invalid.

Not true - in a court of law, consent can be given whilst drunk (R vs. Bree, (2007)) if they voluntarily drank substantual amounts of alcohol and were still still capable of agreeing to have sex at the time.
Not being able to remember giving consent =/= not being able to give consent at the time. These rape cases are sticky because you have to prove:

1. She did not or was not otherwise able to give consent at the time. Being drunk does not automatically invalidate personal agency as per the above.
2. He reasonably believed that she did not consent/could not give consent at the time. This is unsubstantiated as none of the facts she gave indicated either way.

If she decided to take this to court, in my opinion she would struggle to win the case, but then again I am not a lawyer.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Not true - in a court of law, consent can be given whilst drunk (R vs. Bree, (2007)) if they voluntarily drank substantual amounts of alcohol and were still still capable of agreeing to have sex at the time.
Not being able to remember giving consent =/= not being able to give consent at the time. These rape cases are sticky because you have to prove:

1. She did not or was not otherwise able to give consent at the time. Being drunk does not automatically invalidate personal agency as per the above.
2. He reasonably believed that she did not consent/could not give consent at the time. This is unsubstantiated as none of the facts she gave indicated either way.

If she decided to take this to court, in my opinion she would struggle to win the case, but then again I am not a lawyer.

Neither am I a lawyer and you are right at the bottom where she would struggle to win the case as rape is seriously hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt.
Attachment not found
“That” person that you’re being is the one appropriating rape culture. She did say no the night before because he didn’t have a condom firstly. Secondly, he didn’t even give her a chance to say no in the morning. Thirdly, and I cannot stress this one enough, if you are drunk, you absolutely cannot consent. He took advantage of her vulnerable state.

I completely agree with you. I'm also bothered by the fact that she made it clear the night before that she didn't want unprotected sex. Yet, the next morning, when she was still out of it and perhaps, even groggy, he did what she had already said she didn't want. His actions are inexcusable. She expressed her need for protection and he ignored that. That's the first thing he did wrong. The second was not getting clear consent or even any consent at all. It would be difficult for her to prove because of the strict laws but I feel sad for her.

The same thing happened to a guy I know and the lady's excuse was that 'all guys want sex'. If he or she said no or didn't give any consent, leave him or her alone. It's not hard to ask for a proper yes! And if you don't get a yes, respect a person's decision instead of being so underhanded. Humans can be very disappointing creatures. I think I'll start calling myself an alien.
Report it to the police and at the very least get a restraining order. That is rape. Im sorry this happened to you
Reply 76

Spoiler

This is rape I am very sorry this happened to you I hope that this situation can be handled ( report the guy)

And I've been looking at other comments. The people blaming her are disgusting. I'm trying to be empathetic and put myself in her shoes. I don't drink but I have terrible sleepwalking episodes. The last time, I fell asleep at a friend's house. He was able to get me to eat and start discussing our assignment all while I was sleeping. I woke up halfway, hunched over a book I couldn't remember opening. He even put a sweater and slippers on me and I didn't freaking know! He said he only suspected I was sleepwalking cause I was a little groggy and a few of my responses were incoherent. Imagine if it was someone desperately trying to get with me. I would wake up halfway through intimacy with a stranger! My gosh, that's just scary.
Original post by Daryl_01
And I've been looking at other comments. The people blaming her are disgusting. I'm trying to be empathetic and put myself in her shoes. I don't drink but I have terrible sleepwalking episodes. The last time, I fell asleep at a friend's house. He was able to get me to eat and start discussing our assignment all while I was sleeping. I woke up halfway, hunched over a book I couldn't remember opening. He even put a sweater and slippers on me and I didn't freaking know! He said he only suspected I was sleepwalking cause I was a little groggy and a few of my responses were incoherent. Imagine if it was someone desperately trying to get with me. I would wake up halfway through intimacy with a stranger! My gosh, that's just scary.

Are people really victim shaming? Seriously I thought we were past this ****
Original post by tbi_zlx
No consent=rape. I had a similar experience when I was roofied at a party by a couple ppl. I know how a lot of people consider this like a drunken night and oh a lil bit of fun but this is rape hun, no way else of saying it.

What??? Do you want to talk about it? :console:

Latest

Trending

Trending