Will I be behind if I do business a levels but didn't do business gcse?

Watch
Myusername176
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to do business, computing, and maths or physics. But I didn't choose business for gcse. I didn't do my gcse yet. If I choose business for my a levels will I be behind? And will I be able to do physics if I didn't do triple science?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Myusername176)
I want to do business, computing, and maths or physics. But I didn't choose business for gcse. I didn't do my gcse yet. If I choose business for my a levels will I be behind? And will I be able to do physics if I didn't do triple science?
In my local area, I'm not aware of any sixth form / college that requires Business Studies GCSE in order to do the A-level, and I imagine this will be the same in other areas. You will probably just need a 4 or 5 in Maths to show that you have enough competence to do the maths element of the Business Studies A-level.

As for Physics, some places might require you to have done Triple Science, but I think that many just ask for either a good grade in Physics or a good grade in Combined Science. You will likely also need a good grade in Maths (5/6) to study Physics A-level.

A good thing to do at this stage would be to check the websites of local sixth forms / colleges. They should have a breakdown of what grades / subjects are required for what subject.
Myusername176
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
In my local area, I'm not aware of any sixth form / college that requires Business Studies GCSE in order to do the A-level, and I imagine this will be the same in other areas. You will probably just need a 4 or 5 in Maths to show that you have enough competence to do the maths element of the Business Studies A-level.

As for Physics, some places might require you to have done Triple Science, but I think that many just ask for either a good grade in Physics or a good grade in Combined Science. You will likely also need a good grade in Maths (5/6) to study Physics A-level.

A good thing to do at this stage would be to check the websites of local sixth forms / colleges. They should have a breakdown of what grades / subjects are required for what subject.
Will I be behind in business if I do do business?
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

If you haven't yet picked your GCSE options, and you know that you intend to do an A-level in business, then it would be sensible to pick GCSE Business Studies.
Myusername176
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

If you haven't yet picked your GCSE options, and you know that you intend to do an A-level in business, then it would be sensible to pick GCSE Business Studies.
I would have to choose either computing or business. From the start I wanted to do business and computing. But the lessons go on at the sametime so I had to choose one I chose computing. But for a levels I want to do both. But I'm worried that if I do choose business I will have missed out in important topics,that I would need to move forward in business, because I didn't do it in school. So if I do choose business will they go over the topics I missed or will they start on a new one.
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would have to choose either computing or business. From the start I wanted to do business and computing. But the lessons go on at the sametime so I had to choose one I chose computing. But for a levels I want to do both. But I'm worried that if I do choose business I will have missed out in important topics,that I would need to move forward in business, because I didn't do it in school. So if I do choose business will they go over the topics I missed or will they start on a new one.
If you intend to do both at A-level, I would go for Computer Science at GCSE. There are more technical skills in Computer Science that you won't pick up in other subjects, while many aspects of succeeding in Business Studies comes down to being good at maths and being able to write essays competently, which are skills you will also develop in other subjects.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, most people who do Business A level pick it up from scratch
Isaactj2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m doing business in a level and did it at GCSE and most stuff u learn in GCSE u don’t need to use in A-level but it entirely depends on what unit u are doing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (125)
28.34%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (130)
29.48%

Watched Threads