ccdorset
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has studied the BSc Mathematics course through the Open University?

I’m 35 and haven’t studied for 18 years now! I achieved 10 GCSEs Grades A-C, including an A in Maths, but didn't do A-Levels. I’m now looking to return to study.

I was looking to study at a brick uni, but understandably I would need to meet their entry requirements, which will involve me doing a foundation year, Access to HE course, A-Levels or some Open Uni modules.

Thinking of the time that would take, I’m wondering whether it would be quicker for me to do the degree via the Open Uni instead as I wouldn’t need to complete a course before starting.

I’m just not sure how the OU Maths degree compares to those at brick unis and whether it would be regarded in the same way by employers or unis if I go onto do a Masters after?

Thanks

David
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
A degree from a brick uni would look better, especially if you fo onto further study

Just out of curiosity why are you returning to education? Do you not have more responsibilities now, kids, family?
ccdorset
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A degree from a brick uni would look better, especially if you fo onto further study

Just out of curiosity why are you returning to education? Do you not have more responsibilities now, kids, family?
I’ve always intended returning to education one day and figured if I don’t do it now I never will!

I do have a mortgage, but that’s my only responsibility.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ccdorset)
I’ve always intended returning to education one day and figured if I don’t do it now I never will!

Okay, I'd say you should take your time and get the entry qualifications to study at a brick uni and get a good degree from there.

There probably won't be many mature students on your course, but I guess there will be a couple and you can always meet more through joining societies at the uni

Good luck!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The other poster is wrong - a degree from the OU is just as valid. I know a couple of Maths teachers with this degree
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay, I'd say you should take your time and get the entry qualifications to study at a brick uni and get a good degree from there.

There probably won't be many mature students on your course, but I guess there will be a couple and you can always meet more through joining societies at the uni

Good luck!
Why are you giving wrong advice - the OU is highly regarded!
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has studied the BSc Mathematics course through the Open University?

I’m 35 and haven’t studied for 18 years now! I achieved 10 GCSEs Grades A-C, including an A in Maths, but didn't do A-Levels. I’m now looking to return to study.

I was looking to study at a brick uni, but understandably I would need to meet their entry requirements, which will involve me doing a foundation year, Access to HE course, A-Levels or some Open Uni modules.

Thinking of the time that would take, I’m wondering whether it would be quicker for me to do the degree via the Open Uni instead as I wouldn’t need to complete a course before starting.

I’m just not sure how the OU Maths degree compares to those at brick unis and whether it would be regarded in the same way by employers or unis if I go onto do a Masters after?

Thanks

David
The Ou maths degree is as valid as any other institution and accredited by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
It allows you a great deal of flexibility with how long you want to be studying for and allows you to continue working throughout. It is also funded the same way a brick uni would be although you’re not in general entitled to maintenance fees.

A great many OU students go onto study masters and a wide variety of institutions and the degree isn’t looked on less favourably at all.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any evidence to suggest any truth to this statement?
ccdorset
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you for all your responses.It sounds like it is still worth me looking at the OU route then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads