The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSc Mathematics

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has studied the BSc Mathematics course through the Open University?

I’m 35 and haven’t studied for 18 years now! I achieved 10 GCSEs Grades A-C, including an A in Maths, but didn't do A-Levels. I’m now looking to return to study.

I was looking to study at a brick uni, but understandably I would need to meet their entry requirements, which will involve me doing a foundation year, Access to HE course, A-Levels or some Open Uni modules.

Thinking of the time that would take, I’m wondering whether it would be quicker for me to do the degree via the Open Uni instead as I wouldn’t need to complete a course before starting.

I’m just not sure how the OU Maths degree compares to those at brick unis and whether it would be regarded in the same way by employers or unis if I go onto do a Masters after?

Thanks

David
A degree from a brick uni would look better, especially if you fo onto further study

Just out of curiosity why are you returning to education? Do you not have more responsibilities now, kids, family?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
A degree from a brick uni would look better, especially if you fo onto further study

Just out of curiosity why are you returning to education? Do you not have more responsibilities now, kids, family?

I’ve always intended returning to education one day and figured if I don’t do it now I never will!

I do have a mortgage, but that’s my only responsibility.
Original post by ccdorset
I’ve always intended returning to education one day and figured if I don’t do it now I never will!

Okay, I'd say you should take your time and get the entry qualifications to study at a brick uni and get a good degree from there.

There probably won't be many mature students on your course, but I guess there will be a couple and you can always meet more through joining societies at the uni

Good luck!

The other poster is wrong - a degree from the OU is just as valid. I know a couple of Maths teachers with this degree :smile:
Okay, I'd say you should take your time and get the entry qualifications to study at a brick uni and get a good degree from there.

There probably won't be many mature students on your course, but I guess there will be a couple and you can always meet more through joining societies at the uni

Good luck!

Why are you giving wrong advice - the OU is highly regarded!
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has studied the BSc Mathematics course through the Open University?

I’m 35 and haven’t studied for 18 years now! I achieved 10 GCSEs Grades A-C, including an A in Maths, but didn't do A-Levels. I’m now looking to return to study.

I was looking to study at a brick uni, but understandably I would need to meet their entry requirements, which will involve me doing a foundation year, Access to HE course, A-Levels or some Open Uni modules.

Thinking of the time that would take, I’m wondering whether it would be quicker for me to do the degree via the Open Uni instead as I wouldn’t need to complete a course before starting.

I’m just not sure how the OU Maths degree compares to those at brick unis and whether it would be regarded in the same way by employers or unis if I go onto do a Masters after?

Thanks

David

The Ou maths degree is as valid as any other institution and accredited by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
It allows you a great deal of flexibility with how long you want to be studying for and allows you to continue working throughout. It is also funded the same way a brick uni would be although you’re not in general entitled to maintenance fees.

A great many OU students go onto study masters and a wide variety of institutions and the degree isn’t looked on less favourably at all.

Do you have any evidence to suggest any truth to this statement?
Reply 8
Thank you for all your responses.It sounds like it is still worth me looking at the OU route then!
Reply 9
An OU degree is the same as any random university degree, however, people are not taking into account the massive elitism when it comes to hiring, including for academic positions.There are several universities, e.g. Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham etc.. that are all definitely worth going to over and above the OU and degrees from theses unis (for example) are definitely considered superior to an OU degree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Honestly as a 35 year old the sorts of competition you'll face will be very different to what 21 year old graduates will.

I did my first degree at UCL when I was 18-21 and yeah it opened doors. Doors I needed opening because I had basically no experience. I'm now nearly finished with an OU degree (maths and econ) - it's given me additional skills, not contacts.

Will you build the same relationships with your classmates? no
Is the careers service comparable? no.
Will your lecturers/ supervisors hold your hand? hell no.
Will you learn and demonstrate knowledge of degree level mathematics? Yup.

My only objection to maths at open university is there's practically no coding and very little modelling taught. Unless you want to be a maths teach I'd suggest you get these skills elsewhere, i.e. EdEx/ coursera

I feel like people look at my degree in the same way they would a degree from Hull, Keele, etc, but I'm under no illusion that it's comparable to LSE, Durham, Oxbridge etc. largely because the range of subjects I can say I've tackled is smaller. But here's the thing - as a mature student it absolutely does not have to be.
Reply 11
Original post by Llamageddon
Honestly as a 35 year old the sorts of competition you'll face will be very different to what 21 year old graduates will.

I did my first degree at UCL when I was 18-21 and yeah it opened doors. Doors I needed opening because I had basically no experience. I'm now nearly finished with an OU degree (maths and econ) - it's given me additional skills, not contacts.

Will you build the same relationships with your classmates? no
Is the careers service comparable? no.
Will your lecturers/ supervisors hold your hand? hell no.
Will you learn and demonstrate knowledge of degree level mathematics? Yup.

My only objection to maths at open university is there's practically no coding and very little modelling taught. Unless you want to be a maths teach I'd suggest you get these skills elsewhere, i.e. EdEx/ coursera

I feel like people look at my degree in the same way they would a degree from Hull, Keele, etc, but I'm under no illusion that it's comparable to LSE, Durham, Oxbridge etc. largely because the range of subjects I can say I've tackled is smaller. But here's the thing - as a mature student it absolutely does not have to be.

Thanks for your reply and the info, that's really useful. I'll take a look at edX and Coursera as well.

I think OU is going to be my route forward, I do suffer with anxiety quite severely, so thinking about it I would probably find going to a brick uni quite difficult. Excited to start learning again!

Quick Reply

Latest