TSR :)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
HELP
I’m in yr 13 and want to take a gap year and defer my uni application (from 21/22 to 22/23). Basically to gain more independence, confidence and experience.

My only question and issue is what if I don’t get the grades on results day? I can’t go through clearing as a deferred applicant, so would I be on a gap year for nothing (since I’m not guaranteed a uni place?)
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could get back to me as soon as you can

thank YOUU!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You would go through Clearing for 2021 entry - you cannot get deferred places through Clearing.
Or, if you got really dire grades, you'd be resitting your A levels 2021/22 and reapplying.
Last edited by McGinger; 1 month ago
Legally Educated
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're right, deferred entry students cannot go through clearing for 2021, so what you can do is call the universities which you are rejected from and ask for feedback, this isn't always possible but it's a good start. If you manage to get feedback what you can do is work on the areas which they say you didn't do as well, since I don't know you or what your grades are like I'll just use an example.

Let's say your grades are where you lost out on a place, what you can do over your gap year is do part-time work in a subject relevant area, for example, I'm a Law student who is applying for Undergrad Law 2021, so I would get part-time work in a Law firm as a legal secretary and then do online A-Levels to enhance my chances of getting in next year. Then once I sit my A-Levels and get my results I would call up my current college and ask them to resend my UCAS application.

Instead of worrying about something you cannot control, my advice is to spend your gap year improving whatever aspects of yourself as a student are 'lacking' in the eyes of admissions and then calling up your current college to resend your application once you've obtained this.

It's totally a scary thing, especially in a pandemic, but I'm possibly in the same place as you as a year 13 so you aren't alone. Call the unis if you are rejected and see what is available to you as a deferred entry student as support such as if you gain more qualifications would you be more likely of getting a place.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Legally Educated; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads