Laurence00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to apply to both economics and economics and management at Bristol as E&M offers are typically AAA while economics is A*AA. Would it be wise to apply to both and if so how should I write my personal statement. (Ideally I would like to firm pure economics A*AA and put my insurance as E&M AAA both at Bristol)
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve heard that’s unlikely, I also wanted to do this (apply for 2 courses at 1 uni) and heard from various sources about how that’s a recipe for TWO unsuccessful’s😭
Haywood1743
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It would be reviewed by the same department so it would be risky to use 2 UCAS spots if you got rejected
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Panjsuce)
I’ve heard that’s unlikely, I also wanted to do this (apply for 2 courses at 1 uni) and heard from various sources about how that’s a recipe for TWO unsuccessful’s😭

Nonsense. Many people do this, and usually get offers for both choices.

For both these courses at Bristol they do not read the PS.
Applications are weighted as 80% A levels and 20% on your GCSE profile.
So it wont actually matter what you say in your PS. If you meet/exceed the requirements, you are in with a good chance of an offer for both courses, and yes, they would be perfect as a Firm and Insurance.

Enjoy Bristol, its a lovely city to live in : https://youtu.be/khM7tjui86Q
Panjsuce
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)

So it wont actually matter what you say in your PS. If you meet/exceed the requirements, you are in with a good chance of an offer for both courses, and yes, they would be perfect as a Firm and Insurance.

Are you talking to me or OP?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Panjsuce)
Are you talking to me or OP?
'I've heard', when it simply isnt true.
Laurence00
Rep:
?

Hi thanks for the help. How do you know that Bristol doesn’t read personal statements? I’ve got the grades for both courses so would I definitely get into both courses if I applied and would I not be penalised because it shows lack of commitment to one course?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Laurence00)
Hi thanks for the help. How do you know that Bristol doesn’t read personal statements? I’ve got the grades for both courses so would I definitely get into both courses if I applied and would I not be penalised because it shows lack of commitment to one course?
All Bristol courses have an Admissions Statement (check at the very bottom of each course page for a link) - this shows how each course is 'scored', usually on the first page. No Personal Statement score = it isnt read as part of the normal scoring.

If you apply for two wildly different subjects, yes that shows a lack of commitment, and yes, you are likely to be rejected.
You aren't doing that. You are applying for two closely connected courses, and with different entry requirements.
That shows the admissions staff that this applicant 'has made a sensible Firm/Insurance choice, both at Bristol - and clearly wants to come to Bristol'.
Laurence00
Rep:
?
All Bristol courses have an Admissions Statement (check at the very bottom of each course page for a link) - this shows how each course is 'scored', usually on the first page. No Personal Statement score = it isnt read as part of the normal scoring.

If you apply for two wildly different subjects, yes that shows a lack of commitment, and yes, you are likely to be rejected.
You aren't doing that. You are applying for two closely connected courses, and with different entry requirements.
That shows the admissions staff that this applicant 'has made a sensible Firm/Insurance choice, both at Bristol - and clearly wants to come to Bristol'.
Ok thank you for the insight!
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Laurence00)
Ok thank you for the insight!
No worries.
Good Luck!
Laurence00
Rep:
?
No worries.
Good Luck!
Thank you!
Panjsuce
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
'I've heard', when it simply isnt true.
So would it be in that case that they were rejected for other reasons than being interested in two courses/personal statement related reasons? I’m thinking that it’s not concrete that it’s true but it’s risky?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads