Depressed Jobless Graduate

Watch this thread
ayemayfriday
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi

So I've graduated from a good university with a 2:1 in Neuroscience and have been struggling to find a job. I am currently stuck in a retail job that I can't stand but I can't seem to progress. Since graduating in 2019 I have applied to countless jobs and only received ONE interview. It's getting to a point where it's quite difficult to keep up hope and keep trying. I stupidly didn't go do any internships whilst at university so I'm lacking in experience and I'm finding it difficult to work around it.

feeling absolutely useless! I feel like I'm going to be stuck in an unskilled job, living at home, and being miserable forever.

looking for any words of encouragement or tips if possible

thanks <3
Last edited by ayemayfriday; 1 year ago
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ayemayfriday)
Hi

So I've graduated from a good university with a 2:1 in Neuroscience and have been struggling to find a job. I am currently stuck in a retail job that I can't stand but I can't seem to progress. Since graduating in 2019 I have applied to countless jobs and only received ONE interview. It's getting to a point where it's quite difficult to keep up hope and keep trying. I stupidly didn't go do any internships whilst at university so I'm lacking in experience and I'm finding it difficult to work around it.

feeling absolutely useless! I feel like I'm going to be stuck in an unskilled job, living at home, and being miserable forever.

thanks <3
Hey ayemayfriday ! So sorry to hear you're feeling this way. There's nothing worse than feeling stuck after you graduate- I was in a really similar situation for a good few months after graduation and felt like it was constantly one thing after another at times!

One thing that really helped me is remembering that there's no 'right' way to be a graduate. Everyone does different things- some people go straight in to grad jobs, some go in to entry level jobs and others follow totally different paths. You have time, and you'll find your feet. I'm a big believer in everything happens for a reason and I have no doubt you'll look back on this time someday and realise it was where you were meant to be!

Some things that helped me keep my sanity were thinking outside of the box with my networking and applications. I used to research things like the company's values and projects, and add little statements about how I related to them in my Cover Letter. Try and personalise everything you do so that you stand out in some way. I started being really proactive in adding people on LinkedIn and emailing contacts on applications to ask them what they wanted to see from an employee too. I eventually reached the mindset that I had nothing to lose, and that there was nothing wrong or embarrassing about reaching out and making new connections Also, consider reaching out to your University's Careers Service!! I'm sure they'll be a massive help.

2 years after graduation, I've ended up in a role that's really different from anything I thought I'd do so keep your options open and apply for jobs in different industries. Like I say, I know it's a nightmare and can feel so tedious. Keep going, I promise you'll find something and that it'll all be worth it!!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The advice above is good. Can I just say, you aren't actually jobless. You have a retail job. It doesn't matter if it is part time. That is a job.

If you've only had one interview then I am afraid to say, something is going wrong. Maybe it is video recorded questions. Maybe it is your CV or cover letter. Maybe the psychometric tests. It could even be you are applying for roles that you have absolutely zero chance of getting.

You need to identify where it is you are failing at and work on those things. Regarding CV and Cover letter, help is at hand on the forums where you can get someone to help you with the style and format.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339

For the tests, you can find many free psychometric tests online by just searching for them. Do not pay for them. There are many free online. I haven't yet cracked video recorded questions but it is clear you always need to be concise but detailed in your responses and not panic.
Last edited by 0le; 1 year ago
Nerol
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi

thanks <3
First of all, it's got to be the worst time to be looking for jobs in this climate! So keep that in mind!

It might be that you need further qualifications or training, so maybe consider postgraduate study. Also, consider what jobs you are aiming for. Do you have the right experience, skills and qualifications? If not, what do you need to do to get them? You may need to aim lower at the moment and try and build up your experience in a relevant area.

Come up with possible jobs you could do that would give you relevant experience. Have a look at relevant postgraduate courses. The job market is full of eager graduates, so you need to be more than that to stand out.
Italiansteel8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi

thanks <3
Which university did you graduate from, have you considered applying to do a masters?
tinygirl96
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I can help you do up a killer cover letter, and a top notch resume too. Feel free to message me for more sound advice on the entire process, book recommendations and tips on interviews etc.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi

thanks <3
Hi ayemayfriday

Neuroscience is a really tough degree, it sounds like you did a brilliant job.

When I left University I was in a similar situation. I know that a lot of Universities extend their careers advice services to their alumni, so perhaps talking to them might help you get onto a graduate scheme or find a new job. I've found that uploading your CV to job websites often opens up avenues you have never thought of. I'm a qualified teacher and I ended up doing youth work for 9 months.

Usually it takes graduates at least a year to find the career that they want after graduation, I think they call it triangulation (never understood why)

Keep trying, you'll do great!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
ayemayfriday
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Italiansteel8)
Which university did you graduate from, have you considered applying to do a masters?
So I graduated from the University of Manchester. I thoughout about a masters however Im not sure if it will push me in the right direction and would it be a waste of money and time. I might do some extra research on it
odin1994
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
keep going keep going keep going

You know what you want, so don't stop until you get there.

Keep applying and don't give up :cool:
larryboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What about a PhD?- You def will be getting a stipend and doors opened for you in the private sector. Do it do it do it!! Also, it's more fun being a PhD student than being stuck in some retail job urgh!! How can you cope with doing the worst job in the world and making small talk with staff who are not on your level? Yeah I might sound like a nob head snob head but the truth is the truth.
Last edited by larryboy; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (13)
18.06%
The paper was reasonable (27)
37.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (23)
31.94%
It was TERRIBLE (9)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed