Theluckiest
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can I sit them both or I can only sit one of the tiers? I am new to the UK educational system?
con2021
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey. You pick one, Foundation or Higher. Higher targets grades 9-4. Foundation targets grades 5-1.
Theluckiest
Rep:
?
(Original post by con2021)
Hey. You pick one, Foundation or Higher. Higher targets grades 9-4. Foundation targets grades 5-1.
Thanks so much. So it is really down to how good I feel about myself concerning Maths, right? If I'm really good at Maths, then go for Higher. This tells me the two tiers carry different weight in terms of people's perception of them. Am I right?
a.jalan_0106
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes- the foundation is easier so usually people value higher more and also the maximum grade you can get for foundation is 5 so if you are good at Maths then I would go for higher
Theluckiest
Rep:
?
(Original post by a.jalan_0106)
Yes- the foundation is easier so usually people value higher more and also the maximum grade you can get for foundation is 5 so if you are good at Maths then I would go for higher
Thank you so much. Are GCSE grades determinant factors for university admission? To put it another way, if I have excellent A levels grades but not so brilliant GCSE ones, am I going to be adversely impacted when it comes down to uni. admission?
Having grew up in a non English speaking country, I am not so confident to come out the way I would like it to be, except for Maths and Physics in the forthcoming GCSE exams.
Last edited by Theluckiest; 1 month ago
con2021
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theluckiest)
Thank you so much. Are GCSE grades determinant factors for university admission? To put it another way, if I have excellent A levels grades but not so brilliant GCSE ones, am I going to be adversely impacted when it comes down to uni. admission?
Having grew up in a non English speaking country, I am not so confident to come out the way I would like it to be, except for Maths and Physics in the forthcoming GCSE exams.
It depends on the course/university. Some competitive courses/universities might expect their applicants to have achieved high grades at both GCSE and A Level. Others only ask for the bare minimum in English and Maths.
Theluckiest
Rep:
?
(Original post by con2021)
It depends on the course/university. Some competitive courses/universities might expect their applicants to have achieved high grades at both GCSE and A Level. Others only ask for the bare minimum in English and Maths.
Much appreciated. Good night!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The final GCSE certificate will not show which tier you took so no one can tell (if you got a (3 or a) 4 or 5) whether you took Higher Tier or Foundation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads