Dropping out of Uni to get better A levels to study medicine

Watch
AlfieTheStudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I've already dropped out of University once and currently I'm studying mathematics at another university. I'm debating weather to leave university and re do my A levels so I can study medicine at a Russel Group university and ultimately become a doctor. The problem is I'm now 19 and I'll be 21 by the time I go to university after I re do my A levels. Should I carry on with my degree or dropout again?
SorryMedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlfieTheStudent)
Hello, I've already dropped out of University once and currently I'm studying mathematics at another university. I'm debating weather to leave university and re do my A levels so I can study medicine at a Russel Group university and ultimately become a doctor. The problem is I'm now 19 and I'll be 21 by the time I go to university after I re do my A levels. Should I carry on with my degree or dropout again?
Has this affected your ability to get funding? I'd say if Medicine is what you really want to do then go for it, but I'm wary as you've already dropped out previously and medicine is a long course that you need to be 100% sure about. Why have you had this change of heart now, what's wrong with mathematics?
AlfieTheStudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SorryMedic)
Has this affected your ability to get funding? I'd say if Medicine is what you really want to do then go for it, but I'm wary as you've already dropped out previously and medicine is a long course that you need to be 100% sure about. Why have you had this change of heart now, what's wrong with mathematics?
Thanks for the reply and I thought mathematics was my passion however recently I've found I want to make a positive difference. Mathematics is not as enjoyable I was expecting, but that is not really the issue. I'll be honest it is a quite sudden change but I just believe a medicine degree will fulfil me more and enable me to have a better career.
SorryMedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply and I thought mathematics was my passion however recently I've found I want to make a positive difference. Mathematics is not as enjoyable I was expecting, but that is not really the issue. I'll be honest it is a quite sudden change but I just believe a medicine degree will fulfil me more and enable me to have a better career.
What A-Levels did you do and what did you achieve?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
If you want to do medicine, I'm positive there will be a way to make that happen. Don't worry about your age, 21 is plenty early enough to begin studying medicine.

Please note that resitting your A Level exams may not be the only way into medicine. Indeed, if you complete your degree, you then become eligible to apply to graduate entry medicine courses. These are, however, more competitive but some universities offering these courses might not even look at your A Level grades. Also note, once you commit to this, you are no longer eligible for funding for regular five year courses.

You could take time out to resit your A Levels but I would be sure to research each medical school's exam resit policies beforehand. It may not reflect well on you if you disclose that you have dropped out of university twice before applying if you take this route though.

Ultimately, in your shoes, I would
a) find work experience or volunteering opportunities (covid permitting) to ensure you will enjoy a medicine course and not drop out again if you commence studying one.
b) research graduate entry medicine courses, looking particularly for courses that permit maths degrees (some require science degrees) and courses that pay little attention to A Level grades
c) research a level resit policies for undergraduate medicine degrees

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to reply
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are a few mistakes in this post which makes me wonder if you have the right academic profile for medicine to be a realistic option. I understand that you intend to retake your A levels but what did you get first time around?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.01%
No - I have already returned home (51)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (73)
19.11%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.32%

Watched Threads