Differentiation From First Principles

Watch
Y1_UniMaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How do I differentiate y=xcosh(x) from first principles? I'm assuming that's what find the 'ordinary derivative' means anyways. Do I need to use the power series for cosh(h) and sinh(h) at the end of my working or am I doing it wrong?
Name:  20201026_002056-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  44.9 KB
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Y1_UniMaths)
How do I differentiate y=xcosh(x) from first principles? I'm assuming that's what find the 'ordinary derivative' means anyways. Do I need to use the power series for cosh(h) and sinh(h) at the end of my working or am I doing it wrong?
Can you use the fact you know the limit of, (cosh(x+h) - cosh(x))/h ?
Y1_UniMaths
Rep:
?
(Original post by zetamcfc)
Can you use the fact you know the limit of, (cosh(x+h) - cosh(x))/h ?
I don't know sorry
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know sorry
The problem with being asked such a question, is that it is not clear what knowledge you are supposed/''allowed'' to have going into it. You have the answer though, just evaluate the limits you have left. I'm not exactly sure how you are intended to work them out though, sorry that I'm not much help but the best bet is to just ask your teacher/lecturer what they want from you.
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's the actual question you have been asked?

"Find the ordinary derivative" doesn't say anything about first principles!

Can you upload a picture of the question?
Y1_UniMaths
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
What's the actual question you have been asked?

"Find the ordinary derivative" doesn't say anything about first principles!

Can you upload a picture of the question?
What is the ordinary derivative then? The question says find the ordinary derivative of xcosh(x)
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look through your module where this question comes from and check whether you are expected to use first principle, and if you are, then check whether you have covered the required limits of

\displaystyle \lim_{h\to 0} \dfrac{\cosh h - 1}{h} = 0

and

\displaystyle \lim_{h\to 0} \dfrac{\sinh h}{h} = 1

The problem with using series expansions here is that Taylor assumes differentiability of sinh and cosh in the first place in order for the derivatives of sinh and cosh to be used in the series. So in answering "what are these limits" you implicitly assume their values in this approach, thus giving you a circular argument.
Last edited by RDKGames; 4 weeks ago
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What is the ordinary derivative then? The question says find the ordinary derivative of xcosh(x)
The only context in which "ordinary" is used with "derivative" that I'm aware of is to distinguish it from a "partial derivative" when you have a function of more than one variable, so technically the word "ordinary" is redundant in normal use (and in particular if you haven't covered partial derivatives)!

A question which requires you to find a derivative from first principles will normally say "find the derivative from first principles..."

If your course has already covered the derivative of the exponential function e^x then personally I would replace cosh(x) by its definition in terms of exponentials and then apply the product and chain rules to differentiate xcosh(x).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise