Which branch of nursing do you spend more time with patients

Watch
Janey44
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have a while yet to decided what branch of nursing. For me I have two important things, one if I would love to have a job where your building relationships up and talking to patients I have heard with mental health you spend more time with patients also I would love to work on the bank after gaining hospital experience. I also love children. I’m looking at children’s and mental health nursing but heard mental health is under staffed and dangerous!! I think I would find mental health nursing interesting but is there enough work to work just in the bank initially? Same as children’s or is it safer to go to adults? I’m confused 😫x
deadroseex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is more dangerous with adults from my opinion! And getting to know a person is a bit different, it is more of a therapist setting where you need to be civilized to be honest and calm aswell! I think children, it is not as dangerous to be honest but you can never tell but adults are wayyy more dangerous!

No clue tbh, but I would go for children, again, idk but I hope someone does but good luck!!
Wishhh you the best x
Emily_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Janey44)
I have a while yet to decided what branch of nursing. For me I have two important things, one if I would love to have a job where your building relationships up and talking to patients I have heard with mental health you spend more time with patients also I would love to work on the bank after gaining hospital experience. I also love children. I’m looking at children’s and mental health nursing but heard mental health is under staffed and dangerous!! I think I would find mental health nursing interesting but is there enough work to work just in the bank initially? Same as children’s or is it safer to go to adults? I’m confused 😫x
The answer to your thread title is that you spend as much time with your patients in every branch of nursing.
It isn't "safer" to go with any particular branch - all 4 branches are understaffed, there's just more spaces on uni courses for adult nurses because more adult nurses are needed in general (although the UK is still in desperate need of children's, MH and LD nurses!) Whatever you go for, there's always the option of going to work as a bank nurse & you'll pick up work. The job prospects are still there.
Ultimately the question here for you is adult or child, physical or mental health, where the decision looks like this:
Adult = adult physical health
Child = child physical health with the option of CAMHS but predominantly physical health
Mental health = mental health across all age ranges.
I'd highly recommend getting some experience in various health settings. It's a bit tricky right now with the pandemic, but even 6 months as a HCA can help you figure this out. I'm a nurse, and recently one of the HCAs on my ward left because she'd got a job on the maternity unit - she'd gone to do this to help her decide whether she wanted to apply for adult nursing (hence the time on my ward) or midwifery at uni.
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The things you mention as important things are pretty much an exact description of what Mental Health Nursing entails. I’m a Student MH Nurse so if you have any questions about the field I’d be glad to answer!
In terms of danger, of course you get patients who get distressed, but that happens across all 4 fields of nursing! Each field have their own individual dangers, but you’ll receive Mandatory Training before placement and when out in practice, staff & student safety is of paramount importance.
There’s plenty of bank opportunities in mental health although I suppose, as with the bank for other nursing fields, this is somewhat trust/company specific so worth looking at the opportunities for the bank in your local area
Janey44
Rep:
?
That’s great your a mental health nurse. Do you find you spend time with your patients listening to them or is it still rushed when your on the ward? I guess it depends where your placements are. Are they mainly on the hospital wards or do you have placements elsewhere? Child and adolescent mental health really appeals to me too. What kind of patients do you get and what do you enjoy most and is it really stressful? I’m concerned about the studying side along side my family (I have kids) but I know I could make it work. I’m sure there’s plenty of other mature students, I’m in my 40s!! Any info would be great,’sorry about all the questions!!
Janey44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily_B)
The answer to your thread title is that you spend as much time with your patients in every branch of nursing.
It isn't "safer" to go with any particular branch - all 4 branches are understaffed, there's just more spaces on uni courses for adult nurses because more adult nurses are needed in general (although the UK is still in desperate need of children's, MH and LD nurses!) Whatever you go for, there's always the option of going to work as a bank nurse & you'll pick up work. The job prospects are still there.
Ultimately the question here for you is adult or child, physical or mental health, where the decision looks like this:
Adult = adult physical health
Child = child physical health with the option of CAMHS but predominantly physical health
Mental health = mental health across all age ranges.
I'd highly recommend getting some experience in various health settings. It's a bit tricky right now with the pandemic, but even 6 months as a HCA can help you figure this out. I'm a nurse, and recently one of the HCAs on my ward left because she'd got a job on the maternity unit - she'd gone to do this to help her decide whether she wanted to apply for adult nursing (hence the time on my ward) or midwifery at uni.
Thanks for your advice. I may have a part time job as a carer working with different people so I think this may help. I like the idea of helping children too so I am warming to mental health nursing too! I’m sure my work experience will help
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That’s great your a mental health nurse. Do you find you spend time with your patients listening to them or is it still rushed when your on the ward? I guess it depends where your placements are. Are they mainly on the hospital wards or do you have placements elsewhere? Child and adolescent mental health really appeals to me too. What kind of patients do you get and what do you enjoy most and is it really stressful? I’m concerned about the studying side along side my family (I have kids) but I know I could make it work. I’m sure there’s plenty of other mature students, I’m in my 40s!! Any info would be great,’sorry about all the questions!!
Definitely, you get time with patients!! You sometimes feel rushed in the sense that you might have a lot of tasks to do, but I always find time to chat to patients! It’s not all clinical therapeutic interventions as well, sometimes the best rapport is built just by sitting and playing a board game with them or something Not all placements are inpatient hospital settings, there is an increasing move towards community care for mental health services so you’ll possibly experience community mental health services (such as CMHT/CMHART etc), crisis services, Child & Adolescents (CAMHS), Older Adults, Substance Misuse etc and of course Hospital settings are really varied as well (acute, forensic, secure, Eating Disorder Units, DBT Wards, Psychiatric Intensive Care etc)
It’s such a rewarding role, every day is different and I love the rapport I get to build with patients & service users, I think that’s what I enjoy the most yes it’s quite an intense degree (as with any field of nursing!) and as with any nursing placement, you will face stressful situations but you’re well supported as a student
Don’t panic about being a mature student, I’m the youngest on my course at 22! Most of my cohort are mature students with parental responsibilities, you’ll usually find that uni & placements are super understanding and flexible
Any other questions feel free to DM me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (594)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads