Is the GPA for A-Levels (International) taken on the same 4.0 scale?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, I am applying to US, and top Uni's there have an average GPA of 3.9 or so out of 4.0. The problem is that the US HS education has no board exams, and as such are easy internal school exams. This means the GPA of American students tend to far higher than GPA of students who take British exams. That is so because American exams are far far easier than A-Levels, and even their AP is easier.

As such, I have a GPA of roughly 3.5-3.6/4 with International A-Levels. Considering the difficulty of A-Levels, can I apply to Ivy, which have an average GPA of 3.9?
dlwlrma_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am an international student and was looking to apply to the US but didn't end up doing so in the end so I totally get your concern. For the US, apart from ECs I think it's just how your grades look overall. For Ivies you would most likely want to get As for your A levels.
ry7xsfa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They look at way more than grades. They want strong ECs, letters of recommendation, and essays too. If you're talking about the GPA field on CommonApp, you should select "Not reported". Don't try to convert A-Level grades to GPA.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dlwlrma_)
I am an international student and was looking to apply to the US but didn't end up doing so in the end so I totally get your concern. For the US, apart from ECs I think it's just how your grades look overall. For Ivies you would most likely want to get As for your A levels.
Ok thanks. I have 4A's in my AS and a predicted of most likely A*A*A*A*A. Is that enough, or do I need to give any GPA/cGPA?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads