Anonymous2766
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m looking into potentially transferring university and have been in touch with the uni I want to transfer to. I’m in my first year. They have said they will consider an application for entry directly into second year if the first year has been completed elsewhere, yet also say that they don’t offer credit transfers. So how is it possible that they can consider me for entry straight into second year without transferring my credits from my first year at my current uni?
Last edited by Anonymous2766; 4 weeks ago
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous2766)
I’m looking into potentially transferring university and have been in touch with the uni I want to transfer to. I’m in my first year. They have said they will consider an application for entry directly into second year if the first year has been completed elsewhere, yet also say that they don’t offer credit transfers. So how is it possible that they can consider me for entry straight into second year without transferring my credits from my first year at my current uni?
At a lot of unis first year doesn't count (you just need to do well enough to progress to year 2), so that might just be them saying that even if your first year counts at your current uni it won't count at the new one?
AccountHolder
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I posted a thread about this yesterday as I’m in the same situation and had no replies. What about your uni are you not liking?
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you not happy at your current University, Anon?

Which subject are you reading?
Anonymous2766
Rep:
?
(Original post by AccountHolder)
I posted a thread about this yesterday as I’m in the same situation and had no replies. What about your uni are you not liking?
I’ll give a little background about myself first to help. I got three As at A-Level and am doing Business and Economics and Edge Hill. I decided on going there even though my results were good enough to go somewhere better because I was offered a scholarship there. But after being there for a bit, I’m not sure that it’s for me. The people on my course seem to want to just get by rather than push themselves to be the best they possibly can, and some of the teachers seem pretty unenthusiastic. I’m thinking of transferring to somewhere better since I got good enough grades to go somewhere better and hopefully the teaching will be of a higher standard and I’ll be surrounded by people who are more like-minded. What about you, why are you considering transferring?
Anonymous2766
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
Are you not happy at your current University, Anon?

Which subject are you reading?
I’m not happy no, I don’t think it’s right for me. Business and Economics BSc is my subject.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
PLease read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424
AccountHolder
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ll give a little background about myself first to help. I got three As at A-Level and am doing Business and Economics and Edge Hill. I decided on going there even though my results were good enough to go somewhere better because I was offered a scholarship there. But after being there for a bit, I’m not sure that it’s for me. The people on my course seem to want to just get by rather than push themselves to be the best they possibly can, and some of the teachers seem pretty unenthusiastic. I’m thinking of transferring to somewhere better since I got good enough grades to go somewhere better and hopefully the teaching will be of a higher standard and I’ll be surrounded by people who are more like-minded. What about you, why are you considering transferring?
Thank you. I attend QMUL studying biomedical science. I got A*AA at a level, which is above most of my peers despite being a RG uni. I feel like the course is geared towards medicine, and this is not what I want to do. I’m not enjoying the modules, find a lot of the med rejects quite rude (I’m not stereotyping, some are lovely, but the majority seem bitter they didn’t get accepted), and overall am miserable at QMUL. I got offers from KCL and Surrey and at considering dropping out and reapplying to them next year, or transferring if they let me. I’m not sure if I even chose the right course anymore, and I’m considering doing a much less broad course. At KCL I like the look of the molecular genetics course and they also cover cancer biology and genetics, something I want to study more on my biomed course but as it’s so broad I have to cover so much more away from my interest. Surrey is not RG but their biomed course is an Msci which is interesting and they also are IBMS accredited so I can become an NHS biomedical scientist, something I am considering that QMUL and KCL are not and it will cost time and money to get accredited after my degree. My fear of going to Surrey is like what you are currently experiencing, people not really caring as it isn’t RG and not being motivated, dragging me down with them. QMUL does not do a molecular genetics course, they do medical genetics but idk if I want to do that. Also my uni accommodation is ****, I have no WiFi on campus, I can’t access the library to even get a book out, my tutor and course head aren’t replying to my emails, and my DSA conditions are not being met at all so I can’t learn much and keep up with my peers.
Anonymous2766
Rep:
?
Thank you. I attend QMUL studying biomedical science. I got A*AA at a level, which is above most of my peers despite being a RG uni. I feel like the course is geared towards medicine, and this is not what I want to do. I’m not enjoying the modules, find a lot of the med rejects quite rude (I’m not stereotyping, some are lovely, but the majority seem bitter they didn’t get accepted), and overall am miserable at QMUL. I got offers from KCL and Surrey and at considering dropping out and reapplying to them next year, or transferring if they let me. I’m not sure if I even chose the right course anymore, and I’m considering doing a much less broad course. At KCL I like the look of the molecular genetics course and they also cover cancer biology and genetics, something I want to study more on my biomed course but as it’s so broad I have to cover so much more away from my interest. Surrey is not RG but their biomed course is an Msci which is interesting and they also are IBMS accredited so I can become an NHS biomedical scientist, something I am considering that QMUL and KCL are not and it will cost time and money to get accredited after my degree. My fear of going to Surrey is like what you are currently experiencing, people not really caring as it isn’t RG and not being motivated, dragging me down with them. QMUL does not do a molecular genetics course, they do medical genetics but idk if I want to do that. Also my uni accommodation is ****, I have no WiFi on campus, I can’t access the library to even get a book out, my tutor and course head aren’t replying to my emails, and my DSA conditions are not being met at all so I can’t learn much and keep up with my peers.
Sounds like you’re in a tough situation, with a difficult decision to make. Of course, I can’t make it for you, but I can offer my advice. First of all, you come across as a very intelligent individual, which indicates to me that you should be able to tackle any challenge you face, so you should definitely aim to transfer directly into year 2 if that’s what you want. I think, above all else, you should choose a course that you both enjoy and, more importantly, is the best pathway into your desired career. And, if that’s currently not what you’re doing at QMUL and they don’t offer the one you do want to do, then maybe Surrey would be right for you. I completely understand your concerns about being surrounded by people less capable than yourself if you were at Surrey, but you’ve got to ask yourself: is that a sacrifice you’re willing to make to do a course that’s ultimately better-suited to you and the career that you want to go into? It also sounds like the support at your university, despite being RG, is actually pretty poor considering the fact they won’t even respond to your emails, so perhaps you’d actually experience a step-up in quality in that regard at Surrey. On the whole, I wish you the best of luck with your decision.
Last edited by Anonymous2766; 4 weeks ago
AccountHolder
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds like you’re in a tough situation, with a difficult decision to make. Of course, I can’t make it for you, but I can offer my advice. First of all, you come across as a very intelligent individual, which indicates to me that you should be able to tackle any challenge you face, so you should definitely aim to transfer directly into year 2 if that’s what you want. I think, above all else, you should choose a course that you both enjoy and, more importantly, is the best pathway into your desired career. And, if that’s currently not what you’re doing at QMUL and they don’t offer the one you do want to do, then maybe Surrey would be right for you. I completely understand your concerns about being surrounded by people less capable than yourself if you were at Surrey, but you’ve got to ask yourself: is that a sacrifice you’re willing to make to do a course that’s ultimately better-suited to you and the career that you want to go into? It also sounds like the support at your university, despite being RG, is actually pretty poor considering the fact they won’t even respond to your emails, so perhaps you’d actually experience a step-up in quality in that regard at Surrey. On the whole, I wish you the best of luck with your decision.
Thank you! I would have applied to UCL but as I didn’t do a GCSE language due to moving schools and changing from Spanish to French to German, I didn’t have enough grounding in one language to do a GCSE in it, I don’t meet the entry criteria as every UK based student must do a GCSE language and get at least a 5 to get in
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm wondering whether it would help you if you were to e-mail the programme leader at Surrey. Even if she said that you would have to wait until next year, that would give you some comfort.

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergradua...edical-science
AccountHolder
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
I'm wondering whether it would help you if you were to e-mail the programme leader at Surrey. Even if she said that you would have to wait until next year, that would give you some comfort.

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergradua...edical-science
Thank you.

Update: I have mid semester exams next week and the week after forming part of my grade. We’ve just been told it’s open book and everyone has 25% extra time regardless of if they need it or not. As someone who really needs the extra time due to a disability I’m really upset about this as my peers will have so much extra time to look up the answers whilst I won’t have time to do this, and will most likely do much worse because of this. I’ve mentioned this and no one seems to care. Is this allowed? Is it discrimination? I’m so confused and upset.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads