The Student Room Group

Why does copper (II) carbonate + sulphuric acid -> copper sulfate and carbon dioxide?

I thought that acids with metals produce hydrogen as a product why does it produce carbon dioxide???????

copper (II) carbonate + sulphuric acid -> copper sulfate and carbon dioxide
Reply 1
Its not a metal tho, its a metal carbonate. This means that one of the products will be CO2
Original post by tbi_zlx
Its not a metal tho, its a metal carbonate. This means that one of the products will be CO2

My teacher put the wrong equation on the worksheet by mistake it seems. I was thinking the same too.
Original post by chocolatebar3883
My teacher put the wrong equation on the worksheet by mistake it seems. I was thinking the same too.

I was doubting myself because sometimes the teacher is right and sometimes the teacher makes some mistakes when creating the powerpoint. Thanks for confirming my doubts.
Reply 4
I was doubting myself because sometimes the teacher is right and sometimes the teacher makes some mistakes when creating the powerpoint. Thanks for confirming my doubts.

Wait nooo i said that this is right as in its not meant to produce hydrogen. the by products are carbon dioxide, water and salt
Original post by tbi_zlx
Wait nooo i said that this is right as in its not meant to produce hydrogen

Yes that's what I meant. The teacher put it as it's meant to produce hydrogen
Reply 6
Yes that's what I meant. The teacher put it as it's meant to produce hydrogen

Oh then nvm youre right

Quick Reply