my friend wants to stay in my house despite me being in self isolation

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i’m self isolating bc i have vulnerable family and there has been an outbreak at my school. i’m getting a test next week. my friend has been away for 3 days in a city far away having parties with friends, essentially breaking lockdown restrictions. she now wants to come back to my house despite the fact she has likely interacted with someone who has it, and that i’m self isolating. i don’t want to say no because she has no where else to go at the minute. if she doesn’t stay at mine this week she’ll have to stay in hotel. but i can’t have her in my house. my family will not let her in my house. i don’t know what to do.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
She's not your responsibility. If she's able to travel around the country partying she's capable of taking care of herself.
Desideri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
She could stay with the people she’s been partying with, or in a hotel or Airbnb.

Don’t put yourself and your family at risk for someone who parties during a pandemic.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Put it straight to her, due to having someone who is vulnerable to Covid, (and explain what that means for that vulnerable person, a lot harder to recover, more likely to not recover from it), and because we are self isolating and so is my entire family, it will not be possible. If it wasn't for this, I definitely wanted you over but I do live with my family, it is their home.
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just realised you said you’re at school. Is she still at school too?

Who is she supposed to be living with? Parents, foster carers, etc? Why can’t she go there?

If she really can’t go home, tell a teacher at school that your friend has been made homeless. Email or phone them ASAP since you can’t go into school. They can get her the right support.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
'No'
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Desideri)
If she really can’t go home, tell a teacher at school that your friend has been made homeless. Email or phone them ASAP since you can’t go into school. They can get her the right support.
You don't think that would be a bit intrusive maybe?
Zamestaneh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Family member potentially dying > Your friend moaning that she had to pay for a hotel which probably costs like £50 for the night.

Is the price of a life of a loved one £50 or even £10,000?

Don't shoulder the responsibility of your friend's carelessness.
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
You don't think that would be a bit intrusive maybe?
OP doesn’t say how old they are.

If she’s a child and is actually going to be homeless, then no, I don’t think it is. I think helping her to not be homeless is the right thing to do.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Desideri)
OP doesn’t say how old they are.

If she’s a child and is actually going to be homeless, then no, I don’t think it is. I think helping her to not be homeless is the right thing to do.
It's a bit of stretch to jump to that conclusion IMO, and i'm not sure how a school could or would react to a 3rd party pupil asking them to get involved. Going ahead and telling OP to contact them ASAP without any further info feels a bit irresponsible tbh.
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
It's a bit of stretch to jump to that conclusion IMO, and i'm not sure how a school could or would react to a 3rd party pupil asking them to get involved. Going ahead and telling OP to contact them ASAP without any further info feels a bit irresponsible tbh.
I said “if she really can’t go home”, just in case that was what had happened. I wasn’t jumping to a conclusion that it definitely was the case, just suggesting how she could help her friend if that was the issue.

If it was reported, the school would follow their safeguarding procedures. It’s not uncommon for a third party to be the one who brings up an issue, whether intentionally or accidentally, e.g. if a teacher overhears a pupil talking about another pupil self harming. (I’ve worked with children in non-school settings, so have done much of the same safeguarding training as teachers have.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads