Mia 15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Q5) Decode the message received by Space Defence Control.
MKW PWCCFQ USFGWJOWWM
LU FSSARFGKLQC SOWFUW
UWQH KWOS XW
QWWH PRAW CFOFGMLG
ABQFDRBMU XLMK KLCK
USWWH OFUWA CBQU

Q6) In a multiple choice test of 25 questions, four marks are given for each correct answer and two marks deducted for each wrong answer.
One mark is deducted for any question which is not attempted.

James scores 55 marks and wants to know how many questions he got right. He can't remember how many questions he did not attempt, but he doesn't think it was very many.
How many questions did James get right?

my working out:
total questions = 25
correct = 4
incorrect = -2
not attempted = -1

questions attempted = q
correct = c
incorrect = q-c
not attempted = 25-q

55= 4c - 2(q-c) - 1(25-q)
55= 4c - 2q+2c -25 + q
55 = 6c -q -25
80 = 6c -q

and Idk what to do next cause I have the answer but idk how to get there
Sonika000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
he got 13 questions correct as he would have definitely got 4 marks for each correct answer. So divide 55/4=13.75 cant have any 0.75 mark so must be 13
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mia 15)
Q5) Decode the message received by Space Defence Control.
MKW PWCCFQ USFGWJOWWM
LU FSSARFGKLQC SOWFUW
UWQH KWOS XW
QWWH PRAW CFOFGMLG
ABQFDRBMU XLMK KLCK
USWWH OFUWA CBQU

Q6) In a multiple choice test of 25 questions, four marks are given for each correct answer and two marks deducted for each wrong answer.

James scores 55 marks and wants to know how many questions he got right. He can't remember how many questions he did not attempt, but he doesn't think it was very many.

my working out:
total questions = 25
correct = 4
incorrect = -2
not attempted = -1

questions attempted = q
correct = c
incorrect = q-c
not attempted = 25-q

55= 4c - 2(q-c) - 1(25-q)
55= 4c - 2q+2c -25 + q
55 = 6c -q -25
80 = 6c -q

and Idk what to do next cause I have the answer but idk how to get there
You have 1 equation in two unknowns, which means there are multiple solutions. But the solutions are integers.
Can you think how
80+q = 6c
You must have 25>=q>=c. 80+q must be divisible by 6.

For the code one, I'm assuming monoalphabetic? The first word is fairly straightforward, and a bit of word spotting / letter frequency analysis gets you the rest.
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 weeks ago
Sonika000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
actually mayb not dont know lol re read the question dont think my answer is right
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
You have 1 equation in two unknowns, which means there are multiple solutions. But the solutions are integers.
Can you think how
80+q = 6c
You must have 25>=q>=c. 80+q must be divisible by 6.

For the code one, I'm assuming monoalphabetic? The first word is fairly straightforward, and a bit of word spotting / letter frequency analysis gets you the rest.
I thought the code was quite hard (I cheated and used a tool). The frequencies are quite a way from the ordering I know of for the English language, and

Spoiler:
Show
The fact that the second word seems to be made up

is also pretty mean here.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mia 15)

Here's how I'd solve this:

What does James score if he gets every question right? From there, how much does his score go down if you change a right answer to a wrong answer?
Use this to calculate how many questions he'd need to get wrong to score below 55.
Now, how much does his score go up by if you change a *wrong* answer to a "no answer"?
So how many of those wrong questions would you need to change to "no answer" to get an answer of exactly 55?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
I thought the code was quite hard (I cheated and used a tool). The frequencies are quite a way from the ordering I know of for the English language, and

Spoiler:
Show
The fact that the second word seems to be made up

is also pretty mean here.
Sure, word / vowel spotting (guided by frequencies) is the obvious way for small texts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads