Would doing further maths as one of three a-levels put me at a disadvantage?

Watch
Hey17
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm in Year 12 currently studying maths, further maths, economics and psychology and was hoping to drop psychology after AS. I hope to study economics at uni and my main concern is if dropping psychology would hurt my chances of getting into a top uni (cambridge, lse, warwick etc.)?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Guidance from Cambridge's website on number of A-levels:

• Applicants taking four subjects won't normally be at an advantage compared with those taking three, although competitive applicants for STEM courses often have Further Mathematics as a fourth subject.
  • For courses where A Level Mathematics is required by all Colleges – Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, physical sciences options in Natural Sciences – students taking A Level Mathematics in Year 12, and A Level Further Mathematics and only one other A Level in Year 13 will be considered.
  • Source

Guidance from LSE's website on their BSc Economics course:

• Further Mathematics at A-level is also desirable, and is acceptable for entry in combination with Mathematics and one other A-level. In these cases we would prefer that the third A-level should be an essay-based subject. It is acceptable to take Further Mathematics to AS-level only, in which case you will be required to achieve grade A. If you take four or more full A-levels, you will be expected to achieve A* A A (with A* in Mathematics), and a pass in the fourth A-level. We understand however that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Mathematics programme, and you will not be disadvantaged because of this. Therefore it is helpful if you and/or your referees can indicate whether or not your school or college offers Further Mathematics classes.
  • Source

So it seems that generally it is acceptable, however you should be aware that LSE prefers the third subject to be essay-based, and that if you apply to Cambridge, you will be competing with many students who have four A-levels including Further Maths.
Hey17
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much! I'm pretty certain economics qualifies as an essay-based subject. That does seem to be the case - just wondering if there's anyone here who's done further maths as one of 3 and gotten into cambridge for economics?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads