How to find online writing opportunities

Watch
ewpfs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in Yr13, applying to study English at university, and I hope to be a journalist after university. I want to start getting some experience now. Are there any online publications that I would be able to get experience at online ?
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Based upon this "side of the pond": English degrees are nearly 'unsaleable'. Writing for news media or magazines is poorly paid, and mostly a 'dead end' career [have you noticed how many magazines and newspapers go out of business in a year?? Seriously, i would consider something else for a career. Perhaps your best hope of making money in writing, is to write books - either textbooks, or novels for the reading public - and you do NOT need a degree for that. Many writers who have made decent money doing that have never had English degrees. In writing textbooks, the primary thing you need is a knowledge of the subject topic - engineering, medicine, manufacturing, art, - and you're not going to get that in the courses that you take for an English Degree. Go to the institution that you are considering doing your degree in, and ask them to refer you to a dozen 'successful' graduates of their 'English degree' program. Go out and interview these people, and see if that lifestyle REALLY appeals to you - don't forget to ask them how much money they make [over several years - not just a 'one time' "flash in the pan". Best of luck!!
SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rabbit2)
Based upon this "side of the pond": English degrees are nearly 'unsaleable'. Writing for news media or magazines is poorly paid, and mostly a 'dead end' career [have you noticed how many magazines and newspapers go out of business in a year?? Seriously, i would consider something else for a career. Perhaps your best hope of making money in writing, is to write books - either textbooks, or novels for the reading public - and you do NOT need a degree for that. Many writers who have made decent money doing that have never had English degrees. In writing textbooks, the primary thing you need is a knowledge of the subject topic - engineering, medicine, manufacturing, art, - and you're not going to get that in the courses that you take for an English Degree. Go to the institution that you are considering doing your degree in, and ask them to refer you to a dozen 'successful' graduates of their 'English degree' program. Go out and interview these people, and see if that lifestyle REALLY appeals to you - don't forget to ask them how much money they make [over several years - not just a 'one time' "flash in the pan". Best of luck!!
I see what you're saying, but it can be done. I'm doing a so-called "useless" degree (film and creative writing) and I got relevant work experience within 6 months of starting my course, and seem well on my way to securing a placement with quite a lot of relevant stuff on my CV. The point is that no degree is completely unsaleable as long as you put yourself out there and make sure you do a lot outside the classroom as well as in it.
SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
I’m in Yr13, applying to study English at university, and I hope to be a journalist after university. I want to start getting some experience now. Are there any online publications that I would be able to get experience at online ?
It's brilliant that you're proactive and want to get something now, but I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. It's VERY unlikely you'd be rejected from any such uni course for lack of experience, and there's always opportunities to get experience while doing your degree. However, my best friend got experience publishing an article for our town's newspaper while she was still at college, maybe you could do something like that? A lot of independent outlets accept material from students and whatnot if you know where to look
buoynancy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
try voicemag or the teenmagazine or sign up for the young reporters scheme with newsquest this is local london. I did all of these and have had good experiences. This is local london costs money (about £30 and you have to join with your school) but defo has the most opportunities associated. Hope that helps x
ewpfs
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply, but not the question I asked. Having worked *****y retail jobs, I know what it’s like to do a job you hate. Even if my ideal career path won’t make me rich, I’d rather do that than switch to a different career path purely for monetary gain.
Rabbit2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Rabbit2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
Thanks for the reply, but not the question I asked. Having worked *****y retail jobs, I know what it’s like to do a job you hate. Even if my ideal career path won’t make me rich, I’d rather do that than switch to a different career path purely for monetary gain.
Even when you haven't truly investigated the different career path??? Young people think they know everything about a career path after thinking about it for 5 minutes (or so). "Oh, i wouldn't like 'xxxxxx' - fill in the blank - like 'engineering'. This from a 20 yr old. I've worked in enginering [with a degree] since 1969, and i can guarantee you that i haven't investigated more than about 5% of the careers involved under the umbrella term 'engineering', well enough to determine whether or not i would like them. I do not include IT careers in this, because, whilest i have worked IT jobs, i don't have enough experience in that field to comment on more than the 3 career paths that i explored in IT during my engineering career. Cheers.
ewpfs
Rep:
?
Even when you haven't truly investigated the different career path??? Young people think they know everything about a career path after thinking about it for 5 minutes (or so). "Oh, i wouldn't like 'xxxxxx' - fill in the blank - like 'engineering'. This from a 20 yr old. I've worked in enginering [with a degree] since 1969, and i can guarantee you that i haven't investigated more than about 5% of the careers involved under the umbrella term 'engineering', well enough to determine whether or not i would like them. I do not include IT careers in this, because, whilest i have worked IT jobs, i don't have enough experience in that field to comment on more than the 3 career paths that i explored in IT during my engineering career. Cheers.
I’m bad at maths, and I hate science. A key part of engineering is maths and science. Easy conclusion to come to. I know what I like and what skills I have, so I’ve decided to look at careers in that area. There’s no guarantee I’m going to love journalism or writing, but it’s what I’m good at and what I’m interested in right now.
livelyrao
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i'm not sure if this counts, but you could write and publish articles on Medium
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
29.76%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.69%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
8.93%
No - I live at home during term anyway (43)
25.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise