Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
how can i become a private candidate?
what do i have to do
*****deadness
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's the learning part and exam part. Can you self study and/or get private tutors? Does your country do A levels or other high school exams (IB/local exams) you can register privately?
ruqiyaibrahim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
(Original post by *****deadness)
There's the learning part and exam part. Can you self study and/or get private tutors? Does your country do A levels or other high school exams (IB/local exams) you can register privately?
i wanted to know about the learning part.
yes, i can self study and im planning to take my exams in the UK
ruqiyaibrahim
Rep:
?
so how do i register online? what do i have to do to become a private candidate?
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-p...ate-candidates

The advice given by AQA, but presumably the process is more or less the same for the other exam boards. You need to approach local schools / colleges and find one through which to register. You have to arrange to sit your exams through a a proper exam centre.
ruqiyaibrahim
Rep:
?
(Original post by Isinglass)
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-p...ate-candidates

The advice given by AQA, but presumably the process is more or less the same for the other exam boards. You need to approach local schools / colleges and find one through which to register. You have to arrange to sit your exams through a a proper exam centre.
thnx alot for the help, so your saying that private candidates are registered in schools but they don't go to self study? i'm a little confused
*****deadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think they're saying if you choose to self study, you'll still need to ask local schools if they're happy with you taking the exams there, since you need a registered exam centre. You dpn't have to be a full-time student there unless none of the schools agree to do that for you
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You would have to qualify for a place in the sixth form (age, GCSEs etc) for the achool to accept you as a student, attend classes etc. Even if you meet the criteria, it's a bit late in the year to join a sixth form now.

So yes, though you have to find an exam centre through which to register for the exams, you would have to do the actual studying yourself. You would only be using the school as an exam centre, not enrolling as a student.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A private candidate is one who does not study at the centre where they take the exams.

You study in whatever way suits you - from books, distance learning course, tutor etc.

When you are nearly ready to take the exams you find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college plus some private places) that accepts private candidates, pay them and they sort the exams out. Apart from GCSE Maths and English Language, GCSEs and A levels are only available in the UK in the Summer and the entry deadline is 21 February at the exam board - the centre is likely to set its own slightly earlier deadline.
ruqiyaibrahim
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
A private candidate is one who does not study at the centre where they take the exams.

You study in whatever way suits you - from books, distance learning course, tutor etc.

When you are nearly ready to take the exams you find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college plus some private places) that accepts private candidates, pay them and they sort the exams out. Apart from GCSE Maths and English Language, GCSEs and A levels are only available in the UK in the Summer and the entry deadline is 21 February at the exam board - the centre is likely to set its own slightly earlier deadline.
do i have to pay each exam? or is their a one time payment for all of the exams? and how much would the payment be? (roughly)
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ruqiyaibrahim)
do i have to pay each exam? or is their a one time payment for all of the exams? and how much would the payment be? (roughly)
There is an exam board fee for each qualification - it's around £40 for a GCSE and £80-£200 for an A level. The exam centre will then add on a substantial charge for their time. expertise, invigilation etc. Expect to pay £100-200 for a GCSE and £150-£300 for an A level with no difficult requirements (no parcticals, no courswwork)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (631)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (792)
42.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (373)
19.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.47%

Watched Threads