?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What are the main differences between the two courses
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well Cambridge is obviously pure Economics, so the compulsory modules that you'd have to take would be all Economics based, ranging from Macroeconomics to British Economic History. Oxford's E&M has a Management element to it, so you'd have fewer Economics modules but would have compulsory Management modules as well, such as General Management & Financial Management in the first year. I'd say that Cambridge's course is more mathematical as well.
Gorbachav
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do E
BenRyan99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Economics at Cambridge is far higher regarded than Oxford's E&M at undergrad. Although you'll need further maths to study it at Cambridge whereas you won't at Oxford. At postgrad level this switches so for an MPhil Economics, Cambridge < Oxford.
GCM42
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Economics at Cambridge is far higher regarded than Oxford's E&M at undergrad. Although you'll need further maths to study it at Cambridge whereas you won't at Oxford. At postgrad level this switches so for an MPhil Economics, Cambridge < Oxford.
I do further maths for a levels. Do most successful applicants achieve an A*?
GCM42
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gorbachav)
I do E
Cool. Which subjects did you take for a-levels?
Gorbachav
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GCM42)
Cool. Which subjects did you take for a-levels?
Sorry the rest of my piece clearly didn't send. I do E&M at oxford. I took Maths, Physics Economics and French at A Level getting AA*AB against A*A*AA predictions. I am only on this course because of a good score in the TSA which Oxford values very highly. The courses are very different with Cambridge being very maths-intensive and Oxford not even being very econ-intensive, from what I can see the purpose of E&M is to prepare people who do well in their TSA to be the most attractive candidate for IB, consulting and similar. It is the most competitive course in the UK and has the highest graduate salary, and yet I would have no chance at Cambridge. They are very different courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads