Gorbachav
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Am I a First gen student? My dad did an HND at poly and my mum a masters at bath but neither have a bachelors, I do not think my dad graduated anyway. My grandfather went to Durham.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Definitely not a 1st generation student.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gorbachav)
Am I a First gen student? My dad did an HND at poly and my mum a masters at bath but neither have a bachelors, I do not think my dad graduated anyway. My grandfather went to Durham.
The definition of first gen student has gotten more complicated as more university-level qualifications become available.

Personally, I wouldn't consider you a first gen student, as previous generations of your family have attended university. I'm a first gen student because literally none of my ancestors/older relatives attended university.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
no you aren't.Your parents did higher education. especially the masters ( odd no bachelors in that case... unless it was a professional qualification like an MBA... in which case, no way would you count as 1st gen)
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
just noticed about your grandad, no way! That is a middle class education with your grandad at a time when very very few people had the chance to go to university. You'll be fine applying just as you are , good luck!
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gorbachav)
No, I don't think you'd be classed as first generation student.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (653)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (823)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.47%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.48%

Watched Threads